Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Airborne observing

Stu

Superb. Earthshine from a camera phone through an aircraft cabin window! That top pic a great image by any standards.

If you look really carefully you can see me ranting by Blackfriars, having taken my DSLR in to work and on my way home having planned and found the perfect spot and the perfect view with skyscrapers and a lucky perfect clear evening, only to discover the battery was almost dead and useless. I checked it before taking it in this morning, it showed 4 bars BUT IT WAS LYING.

Magnus

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

In the fourth photo, why did you juxtapose a photo of Orion with a photo of part of the sun taken through a Ha scope?:D

Looks like it, doesn't it?

I think anyone who knows my Photoshopping skills will know that that capability is in a tutorial I have yet to study ;)

33 minutes ago, Pig said:

Nice images Stu ? I am surprised they allowed the blinds up on the plane during hours of darkness. Every flight I go on I get asked to either open them or close them.

8AA1F29E-E8A3-49EC-A14B-DEAC87B06313.jpeg

It was only a very short flight Shaun so no bother with blinds. They dimmed the lights for landing which made it much easier to take a picture.

EDIT Where was the picture taken?

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Beautiful views of the LP Stu! Ironic isn't it how lovely the lights look from above!

Yes, it is somewhat ironic that I love looking at the lights when flying over them, but curse at them when trying to observe!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

It was only a very short flight Shaun so no bother with blinds. They dimmed the lights for landing which made it much easier to take a picture.

EDIT Where was the picture taken?

The mountains are the Dolomites I believe, Italy ?

24 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just to cheer you up, they do that so everyone will already be dark adapted in the event of a crash...

What a jolly thought! You are right obviously but I choose to think they have an interest in in-flight photography instead ;)

Archived