Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best book on Solar system (mainly non solar)

Moonshane

By this I mean I am after a really good and detailed text book on the planets, their moons and if possible the rest of the system eg asteroid and kuiper belts plus oort cloud. My main wish is planets and moons.

I have

Wonders of the solar system

Field guide to stars and planets Mendel

The Planets SPM

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks Shane

I like the look of Ridpath/Tirion Stars and Planets but is it detailed enough for experienced observers to be worth getting?

That's a tough ask as theres such a lot to cover. I reviewed this book for the SPA about 11years ago. It's a very nice pictorial book but is a bit limited on the detailed write-up. Plus, even over such a short period of time, our knowledge has increased such a lot. The best way might be to buy books dedicated to individual planets etc. Expensive, but all those books in your bookcase will make you look clever if nothing else! :icon_biggrin:

46320401_2019-01-1608_30_19.jpg.ac79cd61db5dcfa4510ff0d3e0885755.jpg

cheers guys

I was thinking that I might end up going Mike's route. That said due partly to Mike's generosity, my book shelves are quite full already LOL

I suppose that begs the question about which individual planetary and outer solar system books are well received? Feel free to exp[and on these. I'd really love books that provide a lot more depth and reading on the history and make-up of the planets rather than photos as the Brian Cox book actually has a lot of nice graphics. 

Archived