Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Az-GTI Dec movement reversed in EQ mode

George Gearless

I've just been fiddling about with the Skywatcher app and the firmware update to EQ mode.

The firmware update was pretty straight forward and everything seemed to be in working order. Untill I realized that my Dec motor was going 'down' when I pressed 'up' on my keypad on the app.

Ofcourse, I can just mount my telescope the 'wrong way' round on the Dec arm. But that leaves my finder scope in an awkward position at the bottom of the scope. 

I've tried to search for a solution to the problem. The closest I've gotten is this youtube video that hints that the direction is changable, but doesn't explain how to actualy do it (it's within the first couple of minutes of the video and refers to it if you use other equipment that Skywatcher scope).

I've also gone through all the options and settings on the app to see if there was a way to change it there. If there is, I can't find it.

Anyone got any solutions or ideas? Or must I just accept that I need to get on my knees everytime I need to use my red dot finder (at least in EQ mode)?

George

1 hour ago, George Gearless said:

Ofcourse, I can just mount my telescope the 'wrong way' round on the Dec arm.

I 'm pretty sure that this is actually the deal since with the eq firmware sw suggests that the position of the telescope changes from right hand to left hand( or vice versa, can't remember right now).

12 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I 'm pretty sure that this is actually the deal since with the eq firmware sw suggests that the position of the telescope changes from right hand to left hand( or vice versa, can't remember right now).

Indeed, the name of the firmware is "azgti mount, RIGHT ARM, az/eq dual mode, firmware". Which would indicate a switch to the 'opposite' arm.

But I can't realy see who would benefit from this. If you simply just want to operate in EQ mode, there is no obvious benefit to changing the direction. In fact, everything just becomes more inconvenient.

On the other hand, if you do wish to change direction (for instance if you use a telescope that was not designed for this mount), then people will only be able to do so, if they on top of it all operate in EQ mode. They will be unable to do so, without an aftermarket wedge. So, they too would not benefit from this firmware either.

I've actualy written to them via there support page. Maybe I just need to download a different firmware version. We'll see. I'll be sure to post here if/when I get a response. I can't be the only one with this problem :).

2 hours ago, George Gearless said:

Anyone got any solutions or ideas? Or must I just accept that I need to get on my knees everytime I need to use my red dot finder (at least in EQ mode)?

George

And why you afraid to turn the scope in the holder tings?

25 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

And why you afraid to turn the scope in the holder tings?

I'm not sure I follow.

This is the telescope I have. Imagine where the red-dot finder will be positioned, once I reverse the telescope (it will be at the bottom on the 'inside' of the telescopes axis). It is not un-usable. Just very very inconvenient.

Could you explain a bit more?

Skywatcher Maksutov telescope MC 127/1500 SkyMax-127 AZ-GTi GoTo WiFi

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

I'm not sure I follow.

This is the telescope I have. Imagine where the red-dot finder will be positioned, once I reverse the telescope (it will be at the bottom on the 'inside' of the telescopes axis). It is not un-usable. Just very very inconvenient.

Could you explain a bit more?

Skywatcher Maksutov telescope MC 127/1500 SkyMax-127 AZ-GTi GoTo WiFi

Uch...
I have not expected the dovetail to be attached directly to the OTA... Usually it is attached to the holding rings...

Ok, they were quick to write back.

Alas, their response was this: Please install the telescope in the opposite direction. Kind regards.

Yup, that was the full wording of the mail. 

So, it was as you suspected Oldtimer; a package deal :(.

The mount, the telescope as well as the wedge, bears the company mark "Skywatcher". So it annoys me that they would make such a firmware update, well knowing that this would cause problems for those with a Skywatcher telescope. Making it 'right arm mounting' does not increase its usefulness for Skywatcher users. Quite the opposite. It is a feature only relevant for those who do NOT have a skywatcher telescope.

A 'right arm only' and a 'EQ only' would be ideal. But judging by the response from Skywatcher, this doesn't seem to be in the cards.

5 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

They are insane...

is there an option to downgrade the firmware?
if not...
You will end up buying or 3D printing holder rings for Finders only....

It is quite easy to re-load the AltAz firmware. So it's not like you can't go back, once you've installed the 'EQ' firmware.

But thinking of how bad my knees are going to hurt with this setup, I'll need to think of some way to re-position the finder.

Not a huge deal. But I would have prefered that Skywatcher had thought of a solution themselves :).

41 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

Ok, they were quick to write back.

Alas, their response was this: Please install the telescope in the opposite direction. Kind regards.

Yup, that was the full wording of the mail. 

So, it was as you suspected Oldtimer; a package deal :(.

The mount, the telescope as well as the wedge, bears the company mark "Skywatcher". So it annoys me that they would make such a firmware update, well knowing that this would cause problems for those with a Skywatcher telescope. Making it 'right arm mounting' does not increase its usefulness for Skywatcher users. Quite the opposite. It is a feature only relevant for those who do NOT have a skywatcher telescope.

A 'right arm only' and a 'EQ only' would be ideal. But judging by the response from Skywatcher, this doesn't seem to be in the cards.

The problem is only going to occur if your or any make of telescope has a fixed dovetail, MAKs, SCTs etc. For a telescope with rings and dovetail all that is required is to rotate the telescope in the rings. Adding an eq mode firmware to allow the mount to be used as an eq mount opens up the possibilities for the mount to be used for imaging.

13 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

From reading other posts the users using eq mode are doing so with just a camera and camera lens and not a telescope like the 127mm. If I didn't have the Virtuoso I would love one of these mounts.

You mean using less equipment than what you can physicaly pile upon the already strained mount?!? What is this herecy? No no... I refuse to listen to this bizar drivel. More is ALWAYS better, as we all know.   ?

No, seriously: A good point well made, Happykat. I'm sure some very viewable results will come of using just the camera and a good lense. But, you can't blame a guy for trying to squeeze every 'drop' of light out of the equipment that is already available to me.

49 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The problem is only going to occur if your or any make of telescope has a fixed dovetail, MAKs, SCTs etc. For a telescope with rings and dovetail all that is required is to rotate the telescope in the rings. Adding an eq mode firmware to allow the mount to be used as an eq mount opens up the possibilities for the mount to be used for imaging.

True. But would that not also be the case if they didn't reverse the Dec motor?

I genuinly applaud Skywatcher for making the EQ option. And to be honest, I'm quite excited about it. Reverse motor or not. I just found it odd that Skywatcher would make firmware that specificaly inconveniences Skywatcher telescope owners, and not the other way around.

But that's all it realy is. An inconvenience. I fear I may have blown this up to be an insurmountable problem. It certainly isn't that.

• 2 years later...

Very Very late to the party on this one, but as I've just got a Az gti mount and my red dot finder on my skymax 127 is a the bottom like yours, im hoping that this firmware download with sort yours and my issue out. Edit.. I've downloaded and installed the firmware now and my rdf is now in the proper position, now I won't have to crouch and squat in awkward positions to use my rdf. 

Firmware: AZGTi Mount, Right Arm, AZ/EQ Dual Mode, Version 3.20

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/
Clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7