Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first real look at the night sky...

treetops

I'm a total newbie to astronomy, although all my life i've had a strong interest in the stars, the universe, and whats up there, and have always admired the night sky and wondered at it all, I've never really seen anything but specks of light, some brighter than others, figuring that I need a telescope before i can properly observe anything further.

Last night however, I grabbed some cheapish binoculars we brought on holiday a few years back and stepped outside. I looked up with the naked eye at first but coming from the brightness of indoors I couldn't see a lot, so I had a slow stroll round the garden letting my eyes adjust for a few minutes. I then spotted a familiar kite-shaped pattern of stars and decided to come back in and finally learn what it was i was looking at, so i opened a new program i'd just downloaded called Stellarium and from that I could see it was part of Orion, Orion's belt I believe and the 'kite' shape was the belt and part of Orion's sword. I then zoomed in using the software and could see that M42 (which I'd seen many pictures of in the past) was actually part of it, so I went back outside, aimed the binoculars, took a deep breath to steady myself and wow............. there it was, and I was absolutely blown away. I know you might think nothing of this, and reading up today i've found out it is actually visible with the naked eye, it really was a special moment for me. I guess it was my first real observing, and actually being able to identify something as awesome as that was just amazing. It was mighty cold but i kept going out for another look! Today we have family coming to stay, and if the weather clears and we are sober enough, (both very doubtful!) i'll be pointing this very spectacular sight out to them, as i know at least one of them will be interested.

By the way, whilst all this was happening lastnight, i was also signing up to stargazers lounge and exploring it inbetween playing around with Stellarium and nipping outside with the binocs. It was a very special night indeed.

I'm now more eager than ever to get my first scope and see what beauty that brings to my eyes. Have a great weekend folks.

:)

Excellent! The Orion nebula was my first love and it was in much the same experience as you! As my first love, I always come back to it on observing sessions!

Let us know what your next object is. Have you tried the Andromeda galaxy? That can just be seen with the naked eye as well. It's so big that in binocs, if I remember rightly, it's easily visible (and it's satellite galaxies M32 & M110, though I've never tried to see them - silly me!). At 2.5 mly away it will blow your mind!

There is a whole load of Bino object's around at the moment.

M36, M37 and M38 open clusters in Auriga

M35 in Cancer

M42 you've found already

M31 in Andromeda

M45 in Taurus.

You're evening sounded great. It's a real buzz when you have an evening that good.

I'm sure you'll have many more. :)

Ant

Well.. today I ordered my first scope - A SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P from First Light Optics (thanks Steve!) so next time we have a clear night I'll be able to see a lot lot more, and in much more detail! I really feel like a kid at Christmas again! I really can't wait!! :D

I've also ordered Turn Left At Orion and a Planisphere from Amazon. Just need to sort out a red light torch and i'm good to go!! :help:

You don't mess around treetops. A Skyliner 200P is an excellent 'scope and just wait until you see M42 through it. It will blow your socks off. You might also want to go hunting for M13, the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules - it can be seen in good binoculars - and through your new 'scope it will be great.

Post your firstobserving experience with the 200P - we always like to hear how people get on.

Enjoy

Tom

Archived