SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nice Council

Dinglem

Was doing a bit of decorating yesterday in the back bedroom when I saw a council van with a bucket lift pull up, in less than 30 minutes the two blokes had changed out the two sodium lights that flood my back garden with light polution with two LED fittings. Last night after it had gone dark I went out onto a very dark patio ? Now just need to work out how to mask my neighbours security lights which are like the Blackpool illuminations, you wouldn't guess that he's an electrician by trade ?. Looking good for a few hours tomorrow night so will see how I get on, but we all know that can soon change.

24 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The results from changing over to LED lighting can be dramatic so much so for me that I couldn't see a dam thing in the back garden and had to fit a small low power security light :icon_biggrin:

Alan

Same thing happened here, since the change to LED two neighbours have fitted not such low powered lights facing me from the rear :icon_cry:

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Same thing happened here, since the change to LED two neighbours have fitted not such low powered lights facing me from the rear :icon_cry:

Dave

Mine was a DIY job using a single 3 Watt LED with a red cover, had to use it because I could never find my Black Labrador when she was in the garden.

Alan

36 minutes ago, Dinglem said:

Last night after it had gone dark I went out onto a very dark patio ? Now just need to work out how to mask my neighbours security lights which are like the Blackpool illuminations,

Same scenario here, I knew a  distant neighbours light was  very bright, but with the new LED's in place and what with the darker site, their light now appears even  brighter, but they have kindly lowered the illumination angle.
I've thanked them, but  with the knowledge that it's still bright, and was informed that it cant go any lower because there's no more travel/adjustment. I'm sure its a switched light rather than a PIR, so its only on by choice, and some new fencing panels allows me to avoid any direct vision when the light comes on, and the dont doesn't take long to complete its business!!

An immediate neighbours light is parallel to my fence line and that 'catches' me every time (PIR) unless I duck? but there's little need for folk here, to be out after 2300.

As for the street lights, now that all the foliage has fallen of the trees, the LED  illumination is more noticeable, so I will have to further  increase  the height of my own shielding or revert  back to using my Dob tent, but as mentioned earlier, the horrible reflected sodium glow has gone, and most of the structures here are no longer an issue that they were, before the switch over to LED's. 

A few weeks have passed since the switch, but conditions have not yet allowed me to observe with scope, but I'm eager to get out and try.

We had similar results after our street lights were converted to LED's. 

I wrote to the Council and thanked them for the conversion and what it meant to my astronomy. 

Whilst praising them for that, I slipped in a request for the light directly outside my house to be turned off during the early hours of night.

Two days later an engineer altered the timer on the lamppost to go off at 10.30pm until 6am. Result.

Archived