NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazers lounge or Photographer’s Lounge

westmarch

It's great to see outreach activities getting several mentions in this thread :icon_biggrin:

In the 3 years I've been a member of my local astro society, the opportunities to get involved in outreach have provided a major and important new dimension to the hobby for me. I've even started to select and acquire equipment now with outreach use in mind rather than just my own needs and preferences. I find myself spending more time planning and researching targets for my next outreach session rather than for my own personal observing.

As Peter Drew says earlier in this thread, showing others the sky puts you in touch again with the excitement of early discoveries in the hobby. Much observed targets take on a new dimension when being described by those observing them for the 1st time.

I did a presentation on John Dobson and the Dobsonian telescope to my society a while back and my research led me to this well known quote from John which really struck a chord with me:

"... the importance of a telescope is not how big it is, it's not how well made it is, it's how many people less fortunate than you got to look through it ..."

I'm lucky enough to own some fine telescopes but even luckier now to have frequent opportunities to help others enjoy the views of the Universe though them :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/10/2018 at 21:30, westmarch said:

7. AP is, perhaps justifiably,  being seen as the elite of astronomy and perhaps photography and has a wider appeal.

For me the élite aspect of astronomy is original research or discovery. By a country mile. I don't do it but it commands my highest respect.

Olly

Great thread!

The appeal of AP for me is that it can be difficult with a lot of skill and technology to master to get high end results (which I have yet to do so, I might add). Many years ago I was into tropical fish keeping, I rapidly moved from guppies and angel fish to tropical marine aquaria and ultimately keeping an octopus in my living room. The level of water quality management required and equipment expenditure was quite considerable to keep this complex mollusc thriving, but that was the appeal. If it’s too straightforward and hassle free,  I lose interest quite quickly. 

Having said that I spent a couple of nights while imaging at a dark site, roaming around the sky using the host’s 16” Dobsonian and enjoyed it immensely, however  I don’t think it would have been quite as rewarding under a suburban sky.

Oh, and despite being back into this hobby for nearly 4 years, I have yet to image M42, you’ve probably guessed why. Before seasoned Imagers respond, I know, it’s actually not that easy to image in all it’s glory.

And when the imaging rig is running, I just look up at the heavens, and marvel at what I can see, so yeah, I am definitely a stargazer.

Big kudos to the OP for such a thought provoking post, even though I don't especially agree.

I started visual and still love it. AP is a more recent path for me, and whilst it's the same hobby it's a very different discipline. I find the hassle of setting up the AP rig a pain and don't especially enjoy the technical complications, but get a big thrill from my modest achievements when I get a final image. I will happily spend hours fiddling with it.

My wife enjoys adult colouring books and I think there's quite a bit of common ground with image processing. But it can also be immensely frustrating when it's not working.

Visual, on the other hand, is almost always a pleasure. I find the whole process deeply satisfying, and the gratification when you find a difficult object is wonderful.

It also stops me fiddling with the imaging rig once it's up and running. More than one session has been spoilt because I couldn't leave it alone...

The outreach comments are ones which I can relate to a little more having had a few opportunities to share my scope with people who have never had the chance to look through one, mainly as a result of being involved with my little astro group.

We supported the Stargazing Live event at Royal Holloway College some years ago, and must have had several hundred people queuing up to look at the moon, all very grateful and impressed. Also we get new starters along to the club and as a group we enjoy showing them the sights, and helping to get scopes set up for the first time.

Very interesting thread, astrophotography certainly is growing and growing in popularity. 

On a personal level, I am moving back more towards visual. I will still Continue to image the planets, Moon and the Sun. Maybe the the odd comet and widefield as well.

I have pretty much given up on DSO's because I did find the guiding a bit of a chore.

As others have said , whatever you do enjoy it ?

Archived