Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Week At Fforest Fields

tich

This wasn't really an official event just a few of us getting together to make the most of the skies there which is why I were unable to make it to SGL this time, it were the first time there for me & I wasn't disappointed, with the Milky Way stretching right over from one horizon almost to the next. I even managed to get some imaging in although I did go for easy targets as I've struggled lately & it's been the first time I've grabbed any photons in around 18 months. I also did a spot of solar too although it were very hazy so not the best conditions. I can also safely say Storm Callum didn't dampen our spirits nor do any damage alhough the awnings were taken down before the storm hit.

Thanks goes to Tony for helping me out, plus it were great catching up with Mick, Jill, Mike & Dorothy. Hope to see you at Pencelli in March.

image.thumb.png.145b683cdc01bebbf708db092abb61bb.png

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

Looks like you had a good time, Tich, but we’re missing you at Lucksall! 

Sorry Gav hope you're all having a good time there & the storms didn't cause anyone any harm.

1 hour ago, Freff said:

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Tich.

Great video.

See you in the spring.

I'm already looking forward to it Tony I can't wait ?

29 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Looks like a good trip. Can't beat Wales for a bit of darkness.

I have to say the skies there were pretty impressive even though there was a lot of moisture in the air, the Milky way did look very impressive. ?

Nice to have caught up with you again Tich. Even though the weather was a " little " bit stormy, Dorothy & I enjoyed the unofficial event and look forward to seeing you at the next one. Hope You, Tony, and Mick & Jill all had a safe and uneventful journey home.

On 14/10/2018 at 21:04, Beulah said:

What an excellent location for a star party! Plenty of EHUs, 120 pitches and dark!

It's the first time for me although Tony has been a couple of times there now, although conditions weren't perfect for seeing the Milky Way still popped out overhead & was easy to see plus quite a few deep sky objects with the naked eye.
Would I go again? You betcha!!

12 minutes ago, A40farinagolf said:

Looks like a great venue - How does the darkness compare to Lucksall?

I believe it's open all year round so I might try it early November - anyone else interested?

Even though conditions weren't best as regards the moisture it's a hell of a lot darker there, of course there are regular campers around so there is the odd white light around which is why we set up in the large field away from the main buildings. The Milky Way went almost from horizon to horizon & looked stunning overhead. As far as I'm aware they only close for two weeks of the year & open the rest, my only niggle is their weird pitch pricing that they have there.

I'll definitely be back there though although it wont be this year for me as I need to get the observatory up & running for winter ?

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely sound like it’s worth a trip down Tich, especially as it’s open all year.

prices look good too..

Do they have hard standings? my van gets stuck in mud easily.

I May do a few weekends there over the winter, if anyone is going down.

Darren

Yeah there's plenty of hard standings even the pitch I were on was hard standing although you had to cross a part of the field to get there. We just went to those as it gives you a lot more sky. 

Archived