Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calling Dorset Stargazers - Now Set Up

AdeKing

I'm not sure whether or not this is the correct place to post this so if the mods feel that the post would be better suited somewhere else, please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

I know that there are a few of us astronomers located in Dorset and was wondering whether there is any interest in setting up a club on SGL for those of us based in Dorset with a view to meeting up, etc.

I know that @kev100 has previously posted about Dorset observing sites and arranged a session that I unfortunately couldn't attend at the last minute, but would anyone be interested in a club area on SGL where people could post to arrange sessions when good weather is forecast and discuss things specific to observing in our wonderful county, including any sites that are good or sites to avoid.

I know that there are a few of you out there including @kev100@DaveS (well soon to be Dorset based anyway), @Dave1, @Demonperformer, @prusling and @cv01jw

Are there any others members out there, and are any of you interested in having our own area here on SGL.

With the new season rapidly approaching, I'd like to get out observing more and its always nicer with company.

If you are interested let me know and I'll ask Mark to set a Club up for us.

Ade

I'm in, I think this is a very good idea to have our own group here. There are some local astro clubs in Dorset. Which as far as I'm aware of meet up once a month for practical astronomy and maybe more for theoretical. If anyone is interested I can pass on the details. 

Dave

Great news to hear that you guys are interested.

I'll ask Mark to create a club.

I belong to both Wessex Astro and Fordingbridge Astronomers who both meet in Dorset and will post details of club talks and observing sessions.

I know there is also a group in Weymouth and one in Crewkerne, but don't attend those meetings.

When I can find it I will post a link to a Google Calendar which includes meetings for all Dorset clubs.

I'll get this thing rolling then guys.

Ade

Ah that's good news, it was the Wessex astro group, and South Coast Astronomy Group I was refering to. I have met up with somebody from the South Coast Astro group. SCAG meet up impromptu at various locations over Dorset. 1 location being Knowlton Henge and Church. The other location being " The Hill" in the New Forest. The hill is suppose to be a very good darksite but I've never been yet. 

Dave

Yes, count me in when I arrive!

Was going to start a topic on this but didn't feel ready until I had moved, and you've beaten me to it ?. It's a bit early to tell, but the beach car park in West Bexington looks to be a viable location, SQI of 21.72, free after 6 o/c and, according to the local estate agent I spoke to, safe. Maybe not for taking expensive imaging kit but a couple of dobs, and maybe for meteor observing.

@AdeKingit appears you have the makings of a good Club. I have set it up so SGL members can now join. It would be good if someone had a photo to make the heading more attractive - but I can add this later. You will notice that initially I am the owner/leader but that will change when you have more members and someone is willing to take on the role.

Finally if someone can think of a useful description of the group let me know.

• Mark at Beaufort changed the title to Calling Dorset Stargazers - Now Set Up
1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@AdeKingit appears you have the makings of a good Club. I have set it up so SGL members can now join. It would be good if someone had a photo to make the heading more attractive - but I can add this later. You will notice that initially I am the owner/leader but that will change when you have more members and someone is willing to take on the role.

Finally if someone can think of a useful description of the group let me know.

Hi Mark, could you please post a link to the new social group? I couldn't find it, when I searched? 

Dave

3 hours ago, Panda Alvin said:

Not from Dorset but Hampshire here, do you think it would be ok / good idea to pop in to keep an eye out of activates in case something comes up nearby? Or is it mostly going to be in the west side of Dorset which I may struggle to get to ?

I'm pretty sure that we're spread across the county.  I know that four of us are in the Bournemouth/Poole area and another over near Dorchester and I know that there is someone else up near Blandford, another near Fordingbridge and another between Weymouth and Bridport who will hopefully join up, so I suspect that any meets will vary a bit.

The main sites that I use are Badbury Rings (between Wimborne & Blandford) and Durlston Country Park (near Swanage).

Feel free to join up and see what is going on.  I know at least one person from London who comes down regularly and will join up to keep informed.

Ade

24 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@AdeKingyou have not joined yet ?

I was hoping you would become Leader - Leaders can moderate content and manage members in the group, including making other members Leaders.

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I've been busy at work all afternoon and only had chance to view the forum at lunchtime and again now.

I have now joined up so feel free to make me the owner/leader, I have no problems with that unless anyone else objects.

Ade

9 minutes ago, prusling said:

Hi Dave, it's under Clubs at the very top of the page

Dave,

On my phone (Android), I have to click on the 3 horizontal lines in the top right of the screen and the Clubs entry is the last item in the drop down list.

Ade

7 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Ah that's good news, it was the Wessex astro group, and South Coast Astronomy Group I was refering to. I have met up with somebody from the South Coast Astro group. SCAG meet up impromptu at various locations over Dorset. 1 location being Knowlton Henge and Church. The other location being " The Hill" in the New Forest. The hill is suppose to be a very good darksite but I've never been yet. 

Dave

I haven't come across the South Coast Astronomy Group, "The Hill" in the New Forest I suspect is Turf Hill just off the road between Brook and Fordingbridge near Telegraph Hill.  I've heard good things about this site as well from Rob who used to coordinate New Forest Stargazers (sadly no longer in existence) with Russ, but like you have never observed there.

Thanks all that helped. I have now located it via the unread content section of the website. 

I wasn't aware there was a club section on the website! I was looking in the communities forum, sub section social groups and observatories! 

Archived