Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Startools help

Hi,

I''ve just used DSS for the first time and it's stacked the lights OK and it has created a .tif file.

I then downloaded the demo / trial version of Startools and asked it to open the above .tif image file, it came back with a message saying "Could not read file. Make sure image file is FITS file, an uncompressed, IBM PC byte-order TIFF file or a PNG"

Are you able to stop me falling at the first hurdle please?

Try loading the tif file into Photoshop or similar and re-save it as a tif file. I just overwrite the original. I have to do this with the tif files created in Astroart before StarTools or RegiStar will accept them. There are many file creation options in tif format and some programs don't recognise them all. Photoshop's default tif format seems readable by all. :smile:

Alan

3 hours ago, A40farinagolf said:

Hi,

I''ve just used DSS for the first time and it's stacked the lights OK and it has created a .tif file.

I then downloaded the demo / trial version of Startools and asked it to open the above .tif image file, it came back with a message saying "Could not read file. Make sure image file is FITS file, an uncompressed, IBM PC byte-order TIFF file or a PNG"

Are you able to stop me falling at the first hurdle please?

Startools won't open the autosaved tif file generated by dss, after the stack you can choose to save again it as a tif file or fits. This manually saved one will open fine with startools. Just remember to save with settings embedded instead of applied. 

16 hours ago, Atreta said:

Startools won't open the autosaved tif file generated by dss, after the stack you can choose to save again it as a tif file or fits. This manually saved one will open fine with startools. Just remember to save with settings embedded instead of applied. 

I'll give it a try and thanks for your help, seems crazy to me that software systems won't talk to each other. Startools knows that it will be processing files that have been stacked in DSS so it's software should open the autosaved fit file and create a new one that it can work with. 

3 hours ago, A40farinagolf said:

Right clicked on the autosaved .fit file and no option appeared to do a "save as" so I'm now restacking and have requested a TIFF file output so will see if that is opened by Startools.

No need to right click the fits file is the file StarTools will open.

Archived