Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North America Pelican Nebulae Megrez72 FF III Moded 350D

Psychobilly

Heres the first process of the morning on last nights firstlight data from the Megrez 72 FFIII combo

14 x 300s @ ISO 800 Moded Canon 350D with External Hutech IDAS P2 fitted to FF III

Darks and Bias No Flats slight cropped from full frame

9736_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I think I like this setup :)

Billy....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks stunning Billy, the Megrez 72 is an excellent little sope, I've only used mine a couple of times for imaging but always had good results. Going to have a word with Andy Ellis at Kielder to get my 10D modded I think.

Steve..

Thanks guys - very happy for a firstlight :)

Hopefully I can step up a gear now and get back to the widefield imaging that I enjoy the most.

Had to increase the tension ont he focuser to get it to hold the camera and have removed (but not adjusted) and cleaned the outer surfaces of the lenses in the lens cell this morning . I have also cleaned all the surfaces in the optical train.

What amazed me is seeing "airy discs" on even the smallest stars when i zoomed in on the stacked raw, the well contolled coma and the much lower level of vignetting compared to the FF III Equinox-66 setup i used to use. Then again its WO Megrez with FFIII now so probably a better match ...

Billy...

Time to look at some more of last nights "tourist" data now...

I have uploaded a half res jpeg (8.9MB) to Ukastronomers. if anyone wants a look..its actually almost the native res but I used X2 drizzle when stacking in DSS so the full res tiff is 154MB

http://ukastronomers.com/psychobilly/action/download_files/fileid/67

Billy...

p.s. as anyone got a foolproof works every time method of uplaoding files to ukastronomers?

I get a 1 in 3 success rate...

Lovely FOV that Peter, and nicely processed too. One thing I might look at, the focus seems ecer so slightly off, I took a good look at the stars in the full size. You should be able to get them absolutely pinpoint with the FF, right to the edges. They show the same exagerated roundness across the width, and I wonder if the focus was ever so slightly soft? I had a lot of images like this before I made my spikes!! :)

One night we should combine efforts on the same target, as we could gather twice the data in half the time, having the same setup and all, unless the FFII is vastly different to the FFIII?

TJ

I usually set the cam to Medium size jpegs, and take a few shots, adjusting focus in and out. You can zoom right in in zoombrowser. 5 shots or so and you should be sorted.

Oh the other thing, make sure the clutch screw (allen grub screw) is tight under the focusser, mien used to slip with the weight of the camera after focussing. man my fingers are cold, so amny typing errors!

Hi TJ,

I had to adjust the grub screw as I could rack the focuser out but not back in again with the weight of the FF III and the camera.

I'm using DSLRFocus to control the camera.

Got the cad files for the 1st order focus mask and will pop them up to the laser cutters tomorrow and use my scrounging face...the third order quick paper one might not have been quite sensitive enough or the focuser might have shifted when I locked it off...

Ah well there's always next time :)

Billy...

Archived