Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7023 CCD Lum and DSLR RGB approx 8 hours (IRIS NEB)

tooth_dr

Hi all

Here is my take on combining my luminance data from my 383L+ with colour data from my Canon 40d.

There is a banding that I've just started noticing which I cant seem to remove with my current software/skills.

Is pixinsight canon banding going to remove it, and how hard is this to use?

I think if I can suss out the banding issue this is a super combination!

Iris_lum_rgb.jpg

Just now, LightBucket said:

Superb....really must try this combo :)

Thanks William.  The colour data isn't quite right yet, but once I get a decent processing routine it should be good.  I've requested a free trial of Pixinsight to see how I get on with it.

20 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Is pixinsight canon banding going to remove it, and how hard is this to use?

I can't answer that question; despite the fact I use a 70D and process in PI I've not experienced banding. However, I do dither! Do you dither? ;)

Great image - I love the dark stuff. I imaged this target a few weeks back with my ED80DS + 428mono but didn't get the field of view you have achieved.

Adrian

Hi , lovely image. I can’t see the banding on my iPad. However Canon Banding is very easy to use. I’ve only used it in default settings so don’t understand any of Its fine tunings. Basically open it and press go. It’s cleared up some very nasty banding for me so I’d think it’d help yours.

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

I can't answer that question; despite the fact I use a 70D and process in PI I've not experienced banding. However, I do dither! Do you dither? ;)

Great image - I love the dark stuff. I imaged this target a few weeks back with my ED80DS + 428mono but didn't get the field of view you have achieved.

Adrian

I do dither. Question is am I dithering enough :) lol

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Noel's Actions for Photoshop have an excellent anti-banding tool as well - along with many other really useful tools. 

https://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html

It's a good Iris, for sure.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  I ran NCs actions - horizontal and vertical banding tools several times, and it made no difference.  I'm stumped.

Offending image channels attached:

RED CHANNEL

GREEN CHANNEL

BLUE CHANNEL

red channel sub IRIS.jpg

green channel sub IRIS.jpg

blue channel sub IRIS.jpg

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Tony Hallas recommends a 12 pixel dither to get rid of background sky 'colour mottle' in DSLR imaging. Olly Penrice recommends using your mono camera and filters!!!!!

?lly

HaHa Olly.  I’ll check subsequent frames here and see how much they have moved in PS. I can see a movement easily when I flick through so it must be at least that!

I know your feelings on OSC colour versus LRGB mono ? I’m trying to compromise here. I hope to have my EFW2 this week

I just learned about the PI Candon Banding Reduction a few days ago and used it succesfully in a very stretched ASI071 image. So, now I tried it (with default settings) on your red channel, and came up with this (took 10 seconds). So, you should try your free trial version!

_315878382_redchannelsubIRIS PI CBR.jpg

44 minutes ago, gorann said:

I just learned about the PI Candon Banding Reduction a few days ago and used it succesfully in a very stretched ASI071 image. So, now I tried it (with default settings) on your red channel, and came up with this (took 10 seconds). So, you should try your free trial version!

I did download it, and tried earlier but I did not read any instructions. I will try again later. Thanks for your help, and trying out my image. It’s worked very well ??

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Should I run every sub through this and then stack?

Was the image I worked on one sub or a stacked one? If it was the stacked one then I assume you can just use it on the stacked image. Usually bands like these stay in place from sub to sub so then using it on the stack is best. It may even work well on the color data you have processed. It is a bit hidden in PI but you find it under Script -> Utilities. I used Amount = 1.0 and did not tick any of the boxes.

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

Was the image I worked on one sub or a stacked one? If it was the stacked one then I assume you can just use it on the stacked image. Usually bands like these stay in place from sub to sub so then using it on the stack is best. It may even work well on the color data you have processed. It is a bit hidden in PI but you find it under Script -> Utilities. I used Amount = 1.0 and did not tick any of the boxes.

That was a single sub. The banding is wider on the stacked image, perhaps I should look at the stacking parameters too first off and restack.

I’ll get a look later when kids are in bed.

Thanks again

Adam. 

54 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

That was a single sub. The banding is wider on the stacked image, perhaps I should look at the stacking parameters too first off and restack.

I’ll get a look later when kids are in bed.

Thanks again

Adam. 

I’ve always used it on the stacked image immediately after running DBE.

Archived