Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Water and a rocky core on Jupiter/Exotic life a possibility?

SIDO

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Carl Sagan may have been right when he proposed theoretical life forms on Jupiter called sinkers and floaters. You never know! :) 

Floaters?? I see floaters everytime I look at Jupiter or Mars..... haaaaa

10 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I doubt very much that there is life on Jupiter... H2O or not... water is only one ingredient needed for life.... I'd bet my scope and all my astro gear that there is no life on Jupiter....

If you fully read the article posted above you would have discovered there is more than just h20 available for the NASA stated possible exotic life on Jupiter. Too many amazing discoveries happening all the time now days for me to bet against nasa science, I'll be optimistic at least for my remainder here on earth. 

10 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I doubt very much that there is life on Jupiter... H2O or not... water is only one ingredient needed for life.... I'd bet my scope and all my astro gear that there is no life on Jupiter....

Ive seen silly shows which say there may be Whale like creatures flying around in the atmosphere of Jupiter.

Complete tosh.

9 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive seen silly shows which say there may be Whale like creatures flying around in the atmosphere of Jupiter.

Complete tosh.

I think NASA is more refering to something microbial as the intense physical characteristics gravitation and atmospheric disturbance would likely obliterate any larger forms of life, but evolution still should not be underestimated and it may be possible something larger exists.

38 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Drake's equation absolutely spells out to me that we cant be alone in the universe.

We just have not met yet...............

I agree with the equation, the arguement Carl Sagan made for floaters and sinkers on Jupiter is interesting but swimmers aren't that farther fetched, as a fisherman it has always amazed me how fish can live and work below a dam with the water so turbid and when hooked they can not only swim in that turbid water they can demonstrate the ability to swim in much more turbid water by the exhibit of their lengthly fight for freedom...I do catch and release so no fish where harmed gathering this information...lol...

10 minutes ago, SIDO said:

I agree with the equation, the arguement Carl Satan made for floaters and sinkers on Jupiter is interesting but swimmers aren't that farther fetched, as a fisherman it has always amazed me how fish can live and work below a dam with the water so turbid and when hooked they can not only swim in that turbid water they can demonstrate the ability to swim in much more turbid water by the exhibit of their lengthly fight for freedom...I do catch and release so no fish where harmed gathering this information...lol...

Where i live, there is a town called Leixlip. The Irish name is  Léim an Bhradáin

It means Salmon leap. The salmon come up the river to spawn every year.

Its quite something to see

I would bet my scope that where there is liquid water and energy in our solar system then there is life, I am often accused as being bonkers in thinking that life even exists on the Sun (not water based of course).

Alan

17 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I would bet my scope that where there is liquid water and energy in our solar system then there is life, I am often accused as being bonkers in thinking that life even exists on the Sun (not water based of course).

Alan

When I was growing up the solar system was thought to be a cold dark dry place half the size we know it today, we lived in the moment then and we are now stuck in today's moment. Time is Revelation ?

52 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I would bet my scope that where there is liquid water and energy in our solar system then there is life.

I'm in.

Which scope? I'm more than willing to take you up on it so long as its the WO. The other thing is, at what date will I win if no life is found? :D

John

8 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I'm in.

Which scope? I'm more than willing to take you up on it so long as its the WO. The other thing is, at what date will I win if no life is found? :D

John

My guess would be that it will be at least 322 years before we have the tech to explore all the Planets and Moons to each ones core looking for life before we have an answer.

Alan

I was told once the only thing separating a dreamer from a visionary is one proven theory, one may fail miserably afterwords but never again be called a dreamer.

On a side note, it is interesting that astronomers consider their astro gear the most valued items that they own, as so many here are willing to bet the farm or in this case their telescope for arguement sake. Revealing thread I started, getting more than I expected ?

5 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Drake's equation absolutely spells out to me that we cant be alone in the universe.

We just have not met yet...............

Drakes equation forgot to multiply by one other factor... the Ld... Life Detected... 0... so suddenly the result is zero... mathematics can be manipulated to suit anyone's belief and preference...

I too loved Star Trek and as a kid imagined exotic life forms... BUT... Perhaps we should take care of what we have instead of looking for "pie" in the sky and trying to force fiction into the realm of science... until there is a discovery, it's all speculation and fiction... 

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

I'm in...

3 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

?

I KNEW THERE WAS A SCAM SOMEWHERE! :D

I don't think we'll find life anywhere else in our solar system to be honest, but driving buggies on Europa while dodging ice geysers sounds fun.

John

Oh yeah... for sure... that would be AWESOME!!!!

I'd love for my disbelief of life outside of earth to be proven wrong...

Going back to life on Europa... Europa is well within the radiation belts of Jupiter and it's just a ocean with probable minimal currents, so stagnant (it there truly is a ocean) so I think that life would have a hard time starting when the widely accepted notion of life to be started needs moving water and dry land to mix and combine... if anything came to the surface of Europa it would be irradiated... (ignoring temperature and assuming that it's resilient enough to survive the low temps) BUT... why is no one talking about Callisto?

It had a detected possibility of a subsurface ocean, has dry land, geysers and is OUTSIDE of Jupiter's radiation zone... that, to me, seems like a better bet for subsurface microbial life...

Archived