Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Foam suppliers

Synchronicity

I'm not sure which would be the best forum so as this is the diy place...

I've bought a 'Really Useful' box for carrying mu mount head and other bits and I'm trying to track down a supplier of a decent quality foam that I can use inside it. 
Does anyone have a recommendation??

TIA

Michael

Yes, as above, search for 'pick and pluck' on ebay or amazon.

I found that a thin soft 'foamy' layer underneath the plucky stuff was useful as well.   Think about how to maximise useage before butchering the slabs...... I wasted a few by not spacing my bits and bobs  efficiently.....    btw you'll keep finding the tiny cubes for years to come.....  ;) ......and when the parcel arrives, it looks really hefty but almost floats by itself.....

Thanks folks. 

Peli-Case is great quality bit too much for my needs - and wallet - just now.

How does the Pick and pluck word for items deeper than one layer?  Can you stack them on top of each other or do you need to put a lining layer in between each and cut that to suit?

All the best

Michael

The nice thing about the foam in the Maplin flight cases was that the blocks were only about 1/2" square.  I've not managed to find anyone who sells that size so far.  Most seem to be much larger.

James

27 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

Can you stack them on top of each other

Yes you can stack pluck foam on top of each other.
It sometimes work well with odd shaped object, as you can have the higher tier(s) bigger than the lower tier(s).
From my personal experience I suggest to try not to make heavy object to lean on the pluck foam, it also warps the surrounding foam pretty quickly unlike base foam.
I will upload a photo of my SW Mak127 in a pluck foam hard case later as an example.

Also whats your volume / dimension of your really useful box ?

The box is 605 x 370 x 145 mm as it was bought to stack on others but that's to big for the sheets of pluck foam.  They're not to expensive so I might get a smaller one instead.  The main need is for the mount head and my guide scope and camera...

DSC_0435.JPG

DSC_0436.JPG

Case with and without the OTA.

You can see on the left, the visual back fits nicely on top of the foam so I don't need to pluck it. 

The finder shoe screw however is poking it at the lower square and it's warping other foam as well. I should  pluck a block out there really to stop it spreading.

The bottom is the Base foam around 16mm (2x 8mm)which I had it custom cut from Easyfoam (same company as Efoam), and it could do with another pluck foam layer as you can see with a small block of foam on the top right.

Just bought some foam cushion replacements from Easyfoam. Realy good quality and cut to size, but not cheap. Almost does not matter where you buy foam now as it is expensive all over unless you can geta an offcut from some place. I don't like pick and pluck as it is too soft and easilly parts company over time.

Derek

Archived