SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from a Total Noob in Herts

ukuleledaveey

Hope you get it Dave. Don't worry about the collimation process. Just set the scope up in the house and do the collimation steps one at a time. Take your time doing it. After doing it once or twice you'll have it down. It seems like it can be overwhelming, but after trying it you'll find it's actually pretty easy.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ya Kn4fty.

Yeah fingers crossed on the scope there is a couple more 200p's i have my eye on as well.But so far im the only bidder but still 6 days to go.

Yeah ive got to get a scope first before worrying about all the rest lol.

Thanks for all your help

Best regards 

Dave

11 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome Dave from Land Down Under

John

8 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Hello Dave, welcome to SGL.

Hello and many thanks. 

I lived in western australia for 6 years (perth) the best night skies i have ever witnessed i should of got a scope then.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

Hi all just a little update well tonight i won a ebay bid ona skyliner 200p i paid £222, i tried to get one cheaper but the distance was a factor to.i wasnt going to bid any more on this one as 50 quid more i could of got a brand nrw one.But i  gave in to temptation as this one is only on cambridge.

Now for the worry of collimation it totally badfles me. Will keep you posted.

Best rewards 

Dave

On 15/08/2018 at 19:33, ukuleledaveey said:

Hello all and wow what a amazing and friendly and extremely knowledegable,informative and helpful bunch you all are.

Have been browsing the various posts the last few nights as well as the sky.And decided to take the plunge and sign up.

I am a total green behind the ears newbie.But i am very fascinated by the sky at night as is my wife and a couple of our neighbours.during the recent hot nights we have been sitting innour communal garden and have been looking up to the stars and mars saturn and the moon.we have been aided a little by some phone apps to.

But we are really getting into it.i am in the process of hoping to buy a telescope in the next couple of months.I have been trawling the web as well as this forum.As there is so many scopes to choose from.

At present i am leaning towards the  sky watcher skyliner 150p as it seems to get a lot of good reviews across many platforms.

Once again hello from me and i look forward to chatting to you on here.

Best wishes

Dave 

Hi Dave , like you i'm a complete novice .. i have a skywatcher startravel 102 refractor with a goto . Its a good starter scope for me , but i am on the hunt for a bigger scope . I've got my eye on a 250mm flex tube dob (skywatcher) which i intend to purchase in the next week or so... unless other ppl on here can advise me against it . As we all know , buying a scope can be a minefield but , although im a bit limited on space ( thats why i want the Flex tube dob instead of the full tube ) i want to see DSO,mainly as well as the planets . Question to all ... I've heard that if you have to transport dobsonians they need collimating everytime ,,, is that true?... and , how easy it to do?. I live in an urban area so i will definitely want to travel to a dark site . 

I also want to echo your point about how friendly and "happy to help " everyone on this site is . so , in advance ... thank you to everyone and hi to all .

Regards

Stuart 

2 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I've got my eye on a 250mm flex tube dob (skywatcher) which i intend to purchase in the next week or so... unless other ppl on here can advise me against it

I have a Skyliner solid tube and collimating on site is more of a visual thing if the scope is protected en-route.
In-fact I use a Barlowed laser for a quick check. 

Ive heard  you need to collimate every time on a flex-tube, but I know there are folk who will say not required, just like my solid tube, just be careful with it en-route.

The 250 is a good choice too.

Hi Charic , and thanks for the reply 

i am looking at a thread which is explaining collimation in detail ... have to say i will be a bit nervous doing it lol but im sure it will be routine before long.

i was looking at a solid tube but as i wrote , im so limited on space , pardon the pun ! .. thanks again 

Hi Stu, well i purchased a used skyliner 200p tonight i collect it tomorrow.i live in a small flat but the wife has given me the green light.

Yeah i think i will have to travel out as well as London is 26 miles south of me and stansted airport is not far ever.i have a nice thick single sleeping bag im going to wrap the dob in plus going to suffolk to stay in a cabin for 5 days so will definately be taking it there.now to purchase some collimating tools im not sure what to get also want to get a moon filter.

Anyway good luck with getting a scope stu and keep me posted. 

Best regards

Dave.

Congrats on winning the bid! It's gonna open things up for you in a major way. You'll get the collimation down. After a couple times it'll be old school for you and fast.

Whether solid tube or flex, you want to check collimation. Once you have a good collimation ,unless something serious has happened to the scope, mostly all you'll need to do is tweek it. I've made some long trips with my 8" and it's never been completely messed up by bumpy roads. Just a couple quick adjustments and I was ready to go. 

Flex may need a little more, but still shouldn't be too big of an issue. 

Collimation should be checked every time you use it anyway. I always perform a spot check when I use it even if all I do is carry it outside of the house. Usually it is good to go. 

Hi Stu, well i purchased a used skyliner 200p tonight i collect it tomorrow.i live in a small flat but the wife has given me the green light.

Yeah i think i will have to travel out as well as London is 26 miles south of me and stansted airport is not far ever.i have a nice thick single sleeping bag im going to wrap the dob in plus going to suffolk to stay in a cabin for 5 days so will definately be taking it there.now to purchase some collimating tools im not sure what to get also want to get a moon filter.

Anyway good luck with getting a scope stu and keep me posted. 

Best regards

Dave.

1 minute ago, Kn4fty said:

Until you get a tool, you can make a collimation cap from a 35mm film container. 

Hi ya and many thanks and it was you who got me interested in the 200.yeah im not sure what i need to buy regarding collimating.

While im here does it matter on brand or price for a moon filter.

Im collecting the scope tomorrow.will keep you posted and once again thanks for your help and encouragement 

5 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Dave you and i live very close by , stansted airport is just 6 miles from me lol and ... i was given the "green light " too . i will be very interested to read your posts about your new scope . 

Cool im in Sawbridgeworth Stu,well maybe at some point we cab meet up im a total noobie and know nothing lol.There isnt any clubs near by either my wife and i and a couple of friends are all interested in the sky.

Good luck with a scope stu and keep in touch.

un-be-lie-va-ble.. im in Bishops Stortford lol.. amazing coincedence ... i think there are some good sites near us .... maybe woodside green , allens green etc . definitely better than the towns

Just about to order my scope ... does anyone use a light shroud with their flex tube dob?

3 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

un-be-lie-va-ble.. im in Bishops Stortford lol.. amazing coincedence ... i think there are some good sites near us .... maybe woodside green , allens green etc . definitely better than the towns

Just about to order my scope ... does anyone use a light shroud with their flex tube dob?

Lol how amazing Stu funny old isnt it.im.also thinking of going to pishobury park as its quite dark easterly. Yeah i think there are some potential areas  near us.good luck with the scope.im off hunting for a moon filter now.ive got no ideas what to get regarding collimation.Let me know what you buy.i got a sky watcher skyliner 200p dobsonian.

Best wishes from me.

2 hours ago, ukuleledaveey said:

Hi ya and many thanks and it was you who got me interested in the 200.yeah im not sure what i need to buy regarding collimating.

While im here does it matter on brand or price for a moon filter.

Im collecting the scope tomorrow.will keep you posted and once again thanks for your help and encouragement 

Happy to help!

Here are a couple easy to make collimation caps to get you started.

As to the moon filters, I've had name brand and inexpensive ones. I haven't noticed a real difference. I'm currently using a cheap ND95 moon filter. I can't remember the company but will look through my records. I think I paid 15 USD for it. 

When it comes to basic filters for planetary one brand seems to be about the same as the other as long as they follow the Watten numbers. 

Filters like O III, broadband, UHC ,ect, you're better off spending a bit more if you can. Doesn't have to be the most expensive, but get the best you can afford and check the reviews. The more the better info you'll get.

DSC_9335.jpg

collimation_caps.jpg

With regard to your collimation worries .. I wouldnt worry at all about it .

Ive only had a "proper " setup since June, and collimating my 200 PDS each time I use it takes like 5 mins if that .

Just set up indoors and mess about a bit to learn your scope :)

Good Luck :)

Archived