Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FC-100DF as complementary scope

Hello everyone.

I'm looking at complementing my OOUK VX12 with a refractor.  Just because why the hell not :) 

Being new to refractors, I've spent few days trying to get as much info as I could.  My mind right now is set on a Tak FC-100DF, with a AYO II and Berlebach Report 322 (with center column, rated at 12kg).  What do you guys think about this setup?  For me, the grab and go concept is important (lightweight and easy setup), and I do not plan any photography....

Guillaume

I can't remember anyone who's bought a Tak FC100D regretting doing so. They are probably the best light weight refractor currently available.  Visually they are very sharp and unusually bright, and although you don't want to image with yours, if you ever changed your mind the FC is designed to produce great images too.

989987509_2017-07-1819_16_53.thumb.jpg.d2ef83f38c11e1ea1df950f5ddbf2d5e.jpg1886463137_2017-07-1709_13_23.thumb.jpg.e818ddea87778fed6c5262d281ec8f09.jpg

Thanks for the reply Mike...

The question is almost not 'if', but 'when' I'll get an FC-100D.... The main reason I would opt for the DF over the DC is because I've already got 2" eyepieces for my Dob and would be a shame not to use them here as well.

Any thoughts on the Berlebach Report 322?  I've seen others opting for the UNI's but those are heavier and more expensive... The report gives a published payload capacity of 12kg, with 'very good' damping, as opposed to 20kg and 'extremely good' damping on the UNI 19. 

G

35 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

The question is almost not 'if', but 'when' I'll get an FC-100D.... The main reason I would opt for the DF over the DC is because I've already got 2" eyepieces for my Dob and would be a shame not to use them here as well.

I opted for the DF rather than the DC for much the same reason but one thing I have noticed is that this scope can become very back-heavy when loaded with a 2" diagonal and big, heavy 2" eyepieces due to the relatively light weight of the objective lens/cell.

I haven't used a Report tripod but suspect it would handle this scope easily.

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

I have noticed that this scope can become very back-heavy when loaded with a 2" diagonal and big, heavy 2" eyepieces due to the relatively light weight of the objective lens/cell.

Thanks Derek,

This balancing issue should be easy enough to handle with the Takahashi tube cradle? Or is it not?

47 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

Thanks for the reply Mike...

Any thoughts on the Berlebach Report 322?  I've seen others opting for the UNI's but those are heavier and more expensive... The report gives a published payload capacity of 12kg, with 'very good' damping, as opposed to 20kg and 'extremely good' damping on the UNI 19. 

G

I can't really comment on the tripod/mount your considering as I've not used them. I agree it would be a shame not to use your 2" eyepieces, though I use only 1.25". Mainly I'm a lunar and planetary enthusiast and tend to observe with a binoviewer. The clamshell on my scope is set quite far back to accommodate the weight of the bv, Tak prism and paired eyepieces. However, the scope is so light that when im observing dso's or sweeping star fields using mono viewing, I've not found the need to rebalance the tube as the mount has little problem in handling the difference. I mount my scope on a Vixen GP and an AZ4.

I have a Tak FC-100DL which compliments my Orion Optics 12" dobsonian excellently :smiley:

I use various mounts with my FC-100DL but the lightest is the Ercole mount on an Oberwerk wooden tripod. The Oberwerk tripod is not as heavy as my Berlbach Uni but does a great job with the Tak. My Tak is F/9 which is a bit more challenging to mount than the F/7.4 FC's. The counterweight bar and weight in the photo are not really needed with the Tak in all honesty.

takercole01.thumb.JPG.27053374fc34901cd1596a891c35a70d.JPG

39 minutes ago, John said:

I have a Tak FC-100DL which compliments my Orion Optics 12" dobsonian excellently :smiley:

I use various mounts with my FC-100DL but the lightest is the Ercole mount on an Oberwerk wooden tripod. The Oberwerk tripod is not as heavy as my Berlbach Uni but does a great job with the Tak. My Tak is F/9 which is a bit more challenging to mount than the F/7.4 FC's. The counterweight bar and weight in the photo are not really needed with the Tak in all honesty.

takercole01.thumb.JPG.27053374fc34901cd1596a891c35a70d.JPG

What an absolutely gorgeous setup John.... Looks so classy and stylish :) 

I have the FC100DL as well, and can also highly recommend it. I use mine with a Uni28 tripod and my old Vixen Super Polaris mount, which "all up" is a shade heavy but easily fits into grab'n'go once the components are separated. I'm dabbling in photography and have used the Tak to great effect for smaller things like globular clusters and the ring nebula, etc. And visually it's in a class of it's own - quick to cool down and cuts though mediocre seeing for those quick sessions I like to do when I don't fancy setting up my other two scopes. Great all round scope.

Another vote for the FC100DL. Superb scope especially for visual. It does indeed complement the Dob and I’m intending to reduce my scopes to just these two which will cover most needs.

For the Tak I use my Ioptron mount because I like the convenience of goto especially for quick sessions.  

Totally agree with previous comments on the FC100DL,  I have been more than impressed with its performance.

Its mounted on a Skytee 2 and AZ4 steel tripod,  its rock steady and fairly portable, however not sure if its the lightest of setups!  

You will certainly be delighted with any of the Tak FC-100 variants. If it were me I would stick with your DF plans, the shorter focal length will give a wider field and will perhaps complement your dob even better by doing more that it cannot.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

You will certainly be delighted with any of the Tak FC-100 variants. If it were me I would stick with your DF plans, the shorter focal length will give a wider field and will perhaps complement you dob even better by doing more that it cannot.

Good point about the wider field of the F/7.4 Stu. If I had not already had the Vixen ED102SS at F/6.5 I would have probably gone for the DF version as well.

Two quality 4" refractors is probably a bit excessive but .......... what the heck ! :grin:

As a former owner of a 10" Dobson and user of the Report and SXG-HAL130 as well as the FC-100DC and the FC-100DL, I recommend the SXG-HAL 130 and the DF. The report might be OK, but not perfect at 200x magnification, especially if you don't have a micro focuser. The HAL130 is lighter than the UNI and more than enough.

The DF version has a very good color correction and does not need a pier extension for the zenith. Therefore, I think this will serve you better especially with those wider fields.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived