SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars on 7th of August

Snooze

I would love to do this, very interested but think it is expensive hobby.

I had a telescope as a young teenager but found it difficult to point it where I wanted sometimes.

Tips and views welcome 

Thanks for the nice comments guys :) 

16 hours ago, AllanP said:

I would love to do this, very interested but think it is expensive hobby.

I had a telescope as a young teenager but found it difficult to point it where I wanted sometimes.

Tips and views welcome 

It is indeed a very interesting hobby but it is not that expensive. I all depends on what kind of pictures you want to get. There are lots of nice setup to get you started with planetary imaging/observation for about £200 :D.

The best tip that I can give you is to have a clear idea of what your expectations are and what can realistically be achieved with different types of setups. If you have astronomy clubs near you, might be a could idea to join one and attend star parties so you can to use and feel the different types of equipment out there. It would also help you get information and advice by speaking to the members.

Cheers

Thank you for the advice.

I personally would like to connect a set up to a laptop and have a programme to direct the setup automatically.

I recently went to an amateur gathering for public involvement. It was amazing to see so many kids first and foremost. But the sights were amazing. I just hated sharing lol. There were 6 or 7 different setups, from thin simple point and move to the best I thought was maybe a 7" (guess, it was dark) scope which the owner controlled by typing in coordinates. It then moved and focused, to view distant galaxies.

Is this expensive? It looked like it was.

Anyway I thank 

13 hours ago, AllanP said:

Thank you for the advice.

I personally would like to connect a set up to a laptop and have a programme to direct the setup automatically.

I recently went to an amateur gathering for public involvement. It was amazing to see so many kids first and foremost. But the sights were amazing. I just hated sharing lol. There were 6 or 7 different setups, from thin simple point and move to the best I thought was maybe a 7" (guess, it was dark) scope which the owner controlled by typing in coordinates. It then moved and focused, to view distant galaxies.

Is this expensive? It looked like it was.

Anyway I thank 

A completely controlled setup can be expensive but there are affordable setups too. One that comes to mind is the EQ3-2 pro GoTo mount(£389) that can be used with stellarium to control the mount with a laptop. Coupled with a small refractor, you can get some nice DSO images(look for the EQ3 DSO challenge thread) or a small MAK for planetary imaging. :) 

Archived