Ribblehead Viaduct Time Lapse

I spent the night at Ribblehead Viaduct last night shooting some time lapse, star trails and an animated star trail. After selling my telescope gear (no space to use it since moving to Harrogate), I used some of the money to buy myself a hiking trailer and a drone. The trailer means that I can carry more kit with me without making my back and joints worse than they already are, after a bit of research online I got a Benpacker Trek from Benpacker in Germany and this was my first outing with it. I wanted to get to the viaduct before it was dark to shoot some drone footage of the area and while I was waiting for it to get dark a young couple (Ben and Sinead) and their dog came along and we got talking about cameras, drones and the night sky and before we knew it over an hour had passed. The time lapse and star trails were shot on my Sony A7Sii with a Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens with exposures of 30 seconds at ISO6400. For the drone footage I used some of the quick shot modes and active track (me leaving the site in the morning). This is a particularly nice dark site that is easy to get to by train although it never really got fully dark last night as it's still mid summer, I plan on coming back here in the autumn and winter months. The area is really scenic and apart from the occasional bleating of the sheep in the distance it was absolutely silent.
The video can be seen at the following link on my YouTube channel and it is available in 4K

4 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gordon a lovely video. You have such a fantastic talent and the quality of the drone footage is amazing.

Now that you have sold your astro kit does that mean that you trips to the US will end?

Thanks Mark, my trips will continue whenever I can and when I'm invited. This year my talk and workshop were both on time lapse with a DSLR so despite me not being able to do deep sky there is still the time lapse and there is a lot of interest as the workshop has plenty of attendees

Best wishes

Gordon

PS By the way, this was my first time using a drone

All great, love the time lapse, i filmed the Flying scotsman over Ribblehead last year with my Phantom, though a mate with me also filmed it with his S900 and thats a better video

Great timelapse in fantastic surroundings.  :)   

Not bad for a first time drone flight! Took me a fair while to get to grips with a small version!

Please may I ask you where you got your 'trolley'? Looks like it's pretty rugged, just what I need for excusions by foot in the wilderness with a portable setup.

2 hours ago, Beulah said:

Great timelapse in fantastic surroundings.  :)   

Not bad for a first time drone flight! Took me a fair while to get to grips with a small version!

Please may I ask you where you got your 'trolley'? Looks like it's pretty rugged, just what I need for excusions by foot in the wilderness with a portable setup.

Hi

I got the trailer from a company in Germany called "Benpacker" and the model is Trek. It is very rugged, it even has disc brakes on the wheels to slow it down on steep downhill gradients and it will hold up to 40Kg

Here is the link

Benpacker hiking trailers

Best wishes

Gordon

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

That’s a really polished video.  Really enjoyed that. Do you teach this type of things (time lapse)?

Hi

I have done a workshop and talk on time lapse in NEAIC in New York in April, I am quite willing to come and do talks and workshops on this including how to set up, using camera sliders, settings, processing and rendering to video. All I would ask is that accommodation (if needed) and travel expenses are reimbursed

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived