Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick hour with Omni 120 ‘frac

Knighty2112

Just had a quick hour or so session with my Omni 120mm f8 ‘frac, which had been sitting patiently in the corner of the room for a while as my main choice of scope of late has been my C8 SCT on my GoTo mount. But tonight I decided as Saturn was nicely placed to observe, I wanted to view it with the 120mm. So popped out the scope on my Skytee II Mount on my Berlebach tripod and settled in to some nice views of Saturn. Seeing was very steady, so started off with 20mm, then 14mm, then my 10mm EP’s, all viewed with my ADC fitted into the scope too. All views were nice and crisp and steady, with the rings showing up excellently, with banding also apparent on Saturn too, with a smattering of moons around it too. I then took my ADC off of the scope, and the view was just as good, so as the seeing was still nice and steady I then got my 7mm, and 5mm EP’s out (which I rarely ever use) and Saturn held up in bothEP’s and was a joy to see. Some very slight wobbles detected in the views with the 5mm, but this was partly I think due to Saturn been over a neighbors roof, so picking up some heat radiating from it.

As the seeing was nice and crisp, I’d thought I’d have a got at splitting the double double, so swooped across to Lyra and homed in on the stars in my finder, and got a beautiful clean, crisp split with the 5mm EP, which is the best I’ve seen the double split for quite some time. A quick view of M57 as well round off a brief, but very rewarding observing session. Hope you all had similar good viewing conditions too. Need to bring my 120mm ‘frac out more often to observe with me thinks. :) 

Good stuff. Saturn has been pretty disappointing for me so far this year but it sounds like you caught some good seeing. Any sign of our friend the Cassini division?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Good stuff. Saturn has been pretty disappointing for me so far this year but it sounds like you caught some good seeing. Any sign of our friend the Cassini division?

Hi Stu. Seeing was good, but I never saw the division at all.

17 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Good times, eh Gus?  It's all Dob with me lately - getting familiar with the new toy!  Anniversary celebration y'day, so no observing; hope to be out tonight!

Doug.

Thanks Doug. Glad to see your enjoying the new dob still. I’m having second thoughts about going down the dob route. Still pondering over it. Hope you had a nice time for the anniversary. Back to the serious stuff tonight then hopefully with the dob ‘eh? ;) 

5 minutes ago, Eastman said:

Nice one Gus, that's a hour well spent. I like those big 120mm refractors.

Thanks Gert. If the weather plays ball and I get some clear nights over the weekend I’m hoping to do some imaging of Saturn and hopefully Mars too with the 120mm ‘frac too! :) 

Archived