Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn to Cepheus.

cotterless45

A night of absolutely stunning seeing. This high pressure is the hammer of superb stability . First indications were Jupiter as soon as it became visible. The GRS was just edging into view , with a great barge to the northern belt , when the oak tree swallowed it.

Later , Saturn gave lovely views of Cassini and disc markings. Vesta was low , but showed how very bright it is.

Switched up to Cepheus to revisit last night's haul of binaries. Tried for a couple of really tight 1.1" separations , they came up really fine and clear . Down to the " Garnet Star " mu Cephei, the brightest that I'd ever seen it. Really lovely light orange in a background of field stars. This is an essential sight !

IMG_5953.thumb.JPG.c4383c72e43a4a1e0a252288e89f4e06.JPGIMG_5954.thumb.JPG.3e3f3c7bb2661d7bbb4557766c35b8d8.JPGLooking forward to the waning moon riding later and getting a grip of Mars coming up to opposition , under clear skies ! Nick.

Great report and very useful sketches as well - most of my focus on doubles so far this Summer has been in Lyra and Cassiopeia ( think I need a doubles guide book ! ) Iota , Sigma and Eta Cass my favourites ... discovered 61 Cygni for the first time a couple of nights ago too .

I was going to go out last night never managed it. I hope its clear tonight I am waiting for my new (secondhand) 5" refractor if it does not come today I will get the Tal out. Great sketches Nick if I am in the right place I will know what I am looking for with them.

Looked at the garnet star couple of nights ago brilliant orange unmissable. 

Great report, I've been doing doubles most sessions recently, but I have been going for ones that are easy hops from the planets because I'm lazy. I ought to plan a few sessions looking north, this post is a good reminder that's there's lots to see up there.

Nice report Nick. Like Wookie I too was planning to go out after the football had finished, but was too flaked out so ended up watching a movie instead. Went out after the movie had finished but clouds had piled in. Forcast for tonight and Saturday is looking good so hoping to break in a new (to me at least) Vixen flip mirror to image Jupiter, Saturn and hopefully Mars for the first time. May look at a few doubles too, and some DSO’s if conditions are good enough. 

As usual, nice sketches Nick! Good that the 1.1 arcsec doubles showed nicely.

The seeing here was excellent near the zenith, less good lower down with Saturn showing a good few seconds every now and then, but the waves of hot air rising gave the by-now familiar swimming pool effect.

Chris

Nick

Following your post I had a go at E2950. I used my 6 inch mask using my 16 inch scope and that then allowed me to split the star in to two lovely points.

So I now will try the closer ones in your recent posts.

I note you neglected to say you regretted selling your fine 130mm skywatcher dob to me on the scopes I regret selling post ;)

Mark

Archived