NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iris re-edit

MartinB

Looking through the images posted on here it is interesting to see the differences in processing style. I am trying to follow Yfronto's subtle approach to processing producing a more natural image then the squeeze every last bit of detail out of the image. Here are 2 versions of the Iris neb from data captured last year. The first is the image as posted last October, the second was processed tonight. I know which I prefer although I still couldn't resist the temptation to push things a bit more than I perhaps should have.

9396_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9397_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Yep, if there was only a "This is how it should be and thats final", if you like a gold standard for images, it'd all be much easier!

I prefer the bottom photo. The top one was a WOW effect, but the bottom looks more natural, less forced, more like it belongs in space. Horses for courses.

TJ

Thanks for the very interesting comments. It is such a subjective thing. The other thing is that the top one will show all the detail on any monitor. Some of the detail on the second one is much fainter but I think it's all there. The second image is much more monitor dependent.

Both really nice images

I suppose it's always difficult trying to decide what the endpoint of the processing should be...and thats when you know what your doing...Like Martin rather than just "trying things" like I tend to do...

What do most people use as a reference for there final images?

almost 2 weeks without imaging :undecided: possibility of a break after midnight tonight so might setup the gear in the obs and go for the early ugly sleep approach ...

Billy...

As ever Martin, each of your images are very fine. For me though the bottom one is tops, but as you say very monitor dependant.

Of course this would not be the same for every target. I think some targets can and should be pushed more wrt the fine details.

Anthony

2nd gets my vote. :)

I still couldn't resist the temptation to push things a bit more than I perhaps should have.

I know the feeling :undecided: I usually do a "quick" push it hard process to get it out of my system and then have a proper go.

Mike.

2nd gets my vote. :)

I still couldn't resist the temptation to push things a bit more than I perhaps should have.

I know the feeling :undecided: I usually do a "quick" push it hard process to get it out of my system and then have a proper go.

Mike.

Same here, I normally have a 'quick' process before I head off to bed after a session then have a 'proper' go the day after. My perference is the bottom one too, it just looks like it should to me.

Tony..

Archived