Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

usb dew warmers

I've got one that I'm intending to use with my DSLR Lens's for long exposure wide field work (time lapse, etc)    For what I need the one I have will work well.  If anything it'll get too warm, but I don't have to have it turned on all the time.  Also I can turn on after the session starts without disturbing the camera.

Don't know if they would be to the job of working on a 80mm scope though.

26 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

I've got one that I'm intending to use with my DSLR Lens's for long exposure wide field work (time lapse, etc)    For what I need the one I have will work well.  If anything it'll get too warm, but I don't have to have it turned on all the time.  Also I can turn on after the session starts without disturbing the camera.

Don't know if they would be to the job of working on a 80mm scope though.

thanks will give them a try plus with Amazon any issues i can return them  

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

USB supply is only 5v? Normal 12v dew strips at that length are the same price?

Portability is a key issue, a 10AH mobile phone battery bank costs £10 or less and weighs very little, a 12V system is going to be heavy.

Alan

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Portability is a key issue, a 10AH mobile phone battery bank costs £10 or less and weighs very little, a 12V system is going to be heavy.

Alan

This is the reason I went for it.  Can run the heater and my Star Adventurer off the same battery bank and it last plenty long enough for my imaging needs.  Given the price of battery banks, can even go for two in my case.  This is the one I bought

3 minutes ago, Shelster1973 said:

This is the reason I went for it.  Can run the heater and my Star Adventurer off the same battery bank and it last plenty long enough for my imaging needs.  Given the price of battery banks, can even go for two in my case.  This is the one I bought

I have a few battery banks in my collection, even run my EQ3-2 with one, this is the last one I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXWLCI8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan

Just to be clear when I said really hot. I meant is was much warmer that I expected.  It’ll certainly be good enough to keep the dew off in a wide field setup.   I got mine to run on my camera when I’m taking timelapses using my slider.  In that scenario, I need to run the camera for about 6 hours at a time, and cannot touch it during the sequence - otherwise the movement will ruin the sequence.

Perhaps something light this might be better?

https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Camera-Telescopes-Aperture-Telescope/dp/B013QGTOQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529469301&sr=8-3&keywords=telescope+dew+heater

It is not USB powered, but it has low/high settings. And if you are just warming one lens/scope it should work fine. 

If USB is a deciding factor it looks like this adapter may work.

https://www.amazon.com/CableDeconn-Volt-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B012VLKXKM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529469715&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=usb+to+dc&psc=1

Edited by Savage234
Wrong Link

5 hours ago, moise212 said:

@FLO, how about selling also some of those?

Not sure what I think of running a dew-heater tape from USB...

Having a simple high/low switch in the cable is interesting but I think most people will want a dedicated controller. I might be wrong. 

Steve 

36 minutes ago, FLO said:

Having a simple high/low switch in the cable is interesting but I think most people will want a dedicated controller. I might be wrong. 

Steve 

It would be good to have a simple (robust) option for travel/occasional use...

Helen 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/06/2018 at 17:10, FLO said:

Steve 

Seems TS or Astroshop have a few USB dew heaters https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8576_AST-Optics-USB-Heating-Collar--40-cm-length.html

I will order one together with a Celestron Powertank Pro when they become available and let you know how it performs. It seems that in US the Celestron Powertank Pro is available already so it should be in EU soon too.

• 9 months later...
On 04/09/2018 at 14:21, alexbb said:

Seems TS or Astroshop have a few USB dew heaters https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8576_AST-Optics-USB-Heating-Collar--40-cm-length.html

I will order one together with a Celestron Powertank Pro when they become available and let you know how it performs. It seems that in US the Celestron Powertank Pro is available already so it should be in EU soon too.

I received one Saturday and I had a chance of testing it. No dew on an unprotected Canon 50 1.8 STM. A half charged 10000 mAh powerbank went flat in ~3 hours though, the heater felt quite warm at hand.