SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Caldwell 34 - The Witch's Broom Nebula (HOO palette)

Mr_42tr0nomy

I'm still waiting for my ccd to arrive after being repaired.. I am trying to be patient lol. We all know that's easier said than done. ANYWAYS... Here's the Witch's Broom Nebula in HOO. I have RGB data for the stars but I'll go ahead and add that in later when its not 2:00 in the morning haha.  
Hope you guys enjoy :)
EQUIPMENT:

WO 102mm apo
Atik 414ex mono
Orion Atlas GEM

Ha 3nm
Oiii 3nm

caldwell 34 bicolor jpg.jpg

17 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Wow that is beautiful!

Do you know if it's possible to image the broom with a modified DSLR? :)

John

Thanks John! You won’t get as much signal as you would with a ccd but the red filaments and surrounding nebulosity should show up moreso with a modified over a regular dslr. I say yes, go for it! You will need to get a lot of exposure time on this one though, it can be a tricky one with a dslr

10 minutes ago, Craney said:

Lovely.

Please educate me,  is HOO   Halpha for RED, OIII for GREEN and OIII also for BLUE  ??

Nice to see what a 414ex can do...  I've just bought one.

You will love the 414. I use it with a 65mm apo, a 102mm apo and an 8” RC. I get fantastic results from all three. It’s very sensitive and you don’t need to take darks! Haha but yes you are correct.  I mapped ha to red and OIII to green and blue 

20 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

That's really excellent.  I cant wait to get a clear night and get out there! (need to buy an H-a filter first!)

It's like a perpetual Christmas Eve as a child.  The wait, the excitement and anticipation of testing out the new toys...

This object is pretty dramatic in RGB as well, so don't hold back, get your workflow routines finely honed for when that Ha arrives...

6 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I have a 12nm Ha filter that I use with my DSLR, but I just bought an Atik CCD, so am looking at my options!

I would say try and gran a 3nm  or 5nm Ha filter.. ita definitely worth the extra couple bucks!

7 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Is it easy to find? I always hate it when I locate an object's position but theres nothing in the FOV. ? 

John

You could always download a platesolving software which helps. With a ccd you can set the exposure to a second or to to help find the object and place it in your FOV. Its harder to do this with a dslr ?

On 19/06/2018 at 09:46, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Is it easy to find? I always hate it when I locate an object's position but theres nothing in the FOV. ? 

John

Could you not hook up the 50mm Guide Scope with your ZWO and plate solve? using AstroTortilla? I have not done myself yet but will soon be trying on my next outing....currently aim at a star and then wonder around to center and then calibrate in Stellarium...

On 27/06/2018 at 09:26, Adam J said:

This was one of my first ever astro photos with my now very old Canon 1000D. I would think that a more modern camera would do much better.

https://www.astrobin.com/262239/F/?nc=user

Nice image! Especially for a dslr. I haven’t tried this one with my dslr.. which by chance is also an old 1000d!

Archived