NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LensCoat covers for FC-100DC

I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but wanted to highlight the final solution I arrived at. @johninderby kindly pointed these LensCoat covers out and they have proved to be just what I have been looking for for ages. When I pack my Tak down for travel, they provide ideal protection for the objective end with dewshield removed, and also for the open rear aperture after the focuser is removed.

The Large size fits the front very nicely and Medium is a good snug fit for the rear. Once on, you end up with a very neat tube measuring just a fraction over 19.5” or just on 500mm which is perfectly acceptable for carry on baggage.

Hmmm, just need to somehow fund a trip south now!

0D6BADE0-B320-4ADF-A87C-E4BFB14B62FB.jpeg

3EA431EE-EF32-4E6E-B24C-C1AE0FC67378.jpeg

F7D54523-4D07-4999-BB59-8CBD35DAC4CE.jpeg

4BD141B7-CBEF-4289-BB2C-A69D7AE913E7.jpeg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Stu said:

pointed these LensCoat covers out and they have proved to be just what I have been looking for for ages.

Sounds like you need to contribute to @F15Rules excellent "show us your dewcap" discussion, Stu?

Seriously, though, these LensCoat covers are brill!

17 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Ordered a couple from Wex, I was hoping they'd be delivered today but they seem to have taken root in the couriers depot.

Dave

Shame Dave, mine came very quickly.

15 hours ago, johninderby said:

there is a pocket on the inside that holds a removable hard plastic plate that protects the lens.

I removed the hard plastic insert from mine as it's marginally easier to fit onto the tube without it.I suppose it might add a small amount of extra protection from knocks, but I think there is sufficient cushioning without it

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

The hard plastic insert would be useful for the added protection if it was close to the objective but if on the dewshield  shoudn’t Be needed.

Well, it could provide a bit of protection to the edge of the dew cap, for example if knocked against a door frame on the way outside. However, it would only be protection for the paint, nothing more. As I say, I removed it.

59 minutes ago, johninderby said:

WDS Ltd is a great source for handles.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/categories/70/handles/

You are an amazing font of knowledge, John!

They have 100's of handles and many of them look very nice. Unfortunately I am looking for one with a distance between the attachment screws of 210 mm, which they don't seem to have. Wouldn't you know it?

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Get this handle. You can remove an end anD shorten the handle. Just bought one and had to shorten it. “

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3844/tubed-handle-front-mounted-black-wds-8517/

Here’s one on my old dob and it was strong enough to hold a 14” dob one handed. 

Thanks John - just ordered one!

Just now, JeremyS said:

Thanks John - just ordered one!

When you shorten it just tap one of the end pieces with a hammer and work the end off. Then having worked out the correct length use a utility knife to cut round the rubber cover and remove the excess then simply hacksaw off the excess aluminium tube. Then it’s just drive the end back on with gentle hammer taps. Good idea to cut the rubber cover a few mm overlength as you can allways trim it if needs be.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

If you have a dovetail bar on top, Baader sell Vixen or Losmandy clamp handles https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-handle-for-telescope-tubes-with-3-rider-clamps.html

Thanks 25885. I'll see how I get on with the other handle. i prefer if this works as it should attach to the two tube rings with no dovetail needed. If I need to add a dovetail, and a thick Losmandy one for that matter, it just makes the whole OTA even heavier.

Archived