Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's the same Moon...

Patbloke

It's the same Moon out there from wherever you are in the world, just looks different... 

(Apologise for the poor quality pics, but you get the idea....)

Left - Kidderminster, Worcestershire

Right - Cairns, Queensland

IMG_20180528_220728_565.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the weirdest thing, everyone says it's upside down, but when I first saw it down there I had to think for a few minutes why...

However, it's not as weird as seeing Orion near the zenith looking like a giant bow tie!! 

1 minute ago, Patbloke said:

It's the weirdest thing, everyone says it's upside down, but when I first saw it down there I had to think for a few minutes why...

However, it's not as weird as seeing Orion near the zenith looking like a giant bow tie!! 

Wait... think I just worked it out. It’s the relative position in relation to where you are on Earth... nope, lost it again! Magic - it’s all to do with magic! That makes sense... ?

It's not upside-down from Down Under. It's only rotated anticlockwise by a few degrees. Looks to be about 90° in the above images. Probably 80° or there abouts. 

Kidderminster is 52°N. Cairns is 17°S.

You do the trigonometry....because I can't. 

?

Totally off topic, but it reminds me of an old joke about two drunks having an argument. They stopped a passer by and said " sorry pal but can you settle an argument?  Is that the sun or the moon up there? The passer replied, "don't ask me, I don't know, I don't  come from round here"!

On 29/05/2018 at 08:26, LukeSkywatcher said:

It's not upside-down from Down Under. It's only rotated anticlockwise by a few degrees. Looks to be about 90° in the above images. Probably 80° or there abouts. 

Kidderminster is 52°N. Cairns is 17°S.

You do the trigonometry....because I can't. 

?

I was curious about the trig, so I learned it all and coded it up into my own "planisphere" spreadsheet. Putting in 52N and 17S, and assuming looking directly at Orion, it gives me the following pair of configurations:

Cheers, Magnus

Kidder.JPG

Cairns.JPG

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

I was curious about the trig, so I learned it all and coded it up into my own "planisphere" spreadsheet. Putting in 52N and 17S, and assuming looking directly at Orion, it gives me the following pair of configurations:

Cheers, Magnus

Kidder.JPG

Cairns.JPG

Crikey, that’s impressive Magnus.

He casually says ‘I just learned it all and coded it into a spreadsheet’ like it was that easy!!!! ;) 

This is what SkySafari says.... that’s about as clever as I get!

I assume this is not trying to suggest that the phase is that different from down under!!!!

E99E9B01-42AF-441F-9EF0-0BB7DB8AC6F4.png

6F59139F-789E-4309-B5DA-B1334D737B65.png

289506C2-BC63-4BE5-BB66-DD1A830D813E.png

3A8BDAC3-FC00-4782-A84B-CC3A41264A68.png

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Crikey, that’s impressive Magnus.

He casually says ‘I just learned it all and coded it into a spreadsheet’ like it was that easy!!!! ;)  ...

Thanks Stu - I must admit it's taken a few months and is still very much a work in progress. It started off as me being frustrated by Skywatcher's star-map printed-out A4 sheets that came with my Mak for the purpose of finding the best alignment stars, so I decided to create my own. It's basically grown from there so I can stand anywhere in the world at any time and look in any direction and project how things should look. The planets have been especially satisfying. I plan to write it up as a topic before too long.

Anyway, to bring it back to topic, 80-90 degrees seems to be the rotation between Cairns and Kidderminster, as LukeSkywatcher indicated?

Cheers, M

6 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Thanks Stu - I must admit it's taken a few months and is still very much a work in progress. It started off as me being frustrated by Skywatcher's star-map printed-out A4 sheets that came with my Mak for the purpose of finding the best alignment stars, so I decided to create my own. It's basically grown from there so I can stand anywhere in the world at any time and look in any direction and project how things should look. The planets have been especially satisfying. I plan to write it up as a topic before too long.

Anyway, to bring it back to topic, 80-90 degrees seems to be the rotation between Cairns and Kidderminster, as LukeSkywatcher indicated?

Cheers, M

I find that quite amazing! Please do post up about it, I suspect I won’t understand it all but sure it will be very interesting.

Well I can confirm from waaay down here off the coast of Antarctica in Melbourne that both the moon and Orion appear pretty much completely upside down compared to the UK. And to add to the confusion the sun and moon move from right to left across the northern sky! Takes a bit of getting used to I can tell you!

"And to add to the confusion the sun and moon move from right to left across the northern sky!".

Forget how everything else looks. The Sun and Moon moving right to left in the northern sky would just be a complete head wrecker for me. 

Brilliant stuff... (and No Nick the pic in Cairns was taken from Clifton Beach looking out over the Coral Sea) a beautiful location...

As I said it's so weird watching the route of the planets and to see Orion looking like the bow tie... I am extremely lucky to have witnessed both. But I really did have to get couple of apples to understand the view. 

I'm chuffed you've looked at this in detail, some great minds on this forum... 

I'm guessing the names we have for objects up here in the frozen north mean nothing to people from Down Under. 

The NA nebula to most of us up here looks like this (1st image). To Down Underers it would look like the 2nd image. Can it even be seen from down there?. Looks more like an Aardvark's head and snout.

*not my images*

download.jpg

download - Copy.jpg

You have to remember that Australia is pretty huge and Cairns is only 16 degrees below the equator so the sun pretty much appears to travel straight over the top of you from horizon to horizon... I expect thats why Orion isn't upside down in Cairns but is from Melbourne.

Of course in reality they are in the same place, we are just standing on our ball looking from different angles... Do the apple thing ?

3 minutes ago, Patbloke said:

You have to remember that Australia is pretty huge and Cairns is only 16 degrees below the equator so the sun pretty much appears to travel straight over the top of you from horizon to horizon... I expect thats why Orion isn't upside down...

With the Sun passing almost directly overhead, that must be a real pain in the neck when solar observing.

30 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Same down here with the planets this year, they're almost directly overhead at night, though Venus is getting higher above the evening horizon now.

Please stop Geoff, jealousy may get the better of me ;)

13 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Work..............at this time of night!!!!!!!!.

Oh wait.............im with you.

:D

It’s weird, everyone works nights in Aus...

Archived