Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Excitement Reigns

Simoncwr

The weather has changed really quickly. Last night at around 9pm I was settling down for a nice session on our nearest satellite, then within minutes wall to wall cloud, not really cleared since.

I am sure some better weather is around the corner though. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Pete,

Yup, changeable it sure is. Now if DHL hadnt played silly buggers sending it backwards and forwards from East Midlands to Gatwick twice I would have it. Looks like Tuesday now.....

Simon

Gina,

I had a massive Lightning display which moved quickly across the Island, tiny patter of very heavy drops, and then gone. We were very lucky looking at what hit the Birmingham area.

DHL spectacularly failed to find my house today despite the scope being in their van so still waiting....

Simon

Birmingham had it very bad!  Glad you were alright.  So annoying when you're waiting for goodies to arrive!  If the weather with you is the same as here (raining) you won't be able to use that scope anyway but you'll be dying to look at it I'm sure.  Good luck with clear skies when you get it. ?

It's not just the UK either. I was in Malaysia for a time and it was sheet lightning every night but it rarely seemed to be near my location.It always looked about 10 miles away but enough to disrupt clear skies and when it rained it really rained.....Dave

These are the traffic graphs from my ISP for my ADSL connection for last Saturday and Sunday.  The red bits are packet loss.  The spike at 3:30am on Sunday looks like the line was dropped after which the router retrained downwards.  I guess it works pretty well as a lightning sensor, which is perhaps not surprising as it's about 3km of overhead cable running over the tops of hills to the exchange.

traffic.png

James

Well it arrived yesterday and as you all predicted it looks like Weds before we get clear skies here lol. Did set it up on a photo tripod to dial in the finder and change the back etc. which was all good fun of course. Cannot for the life of me get the TS binoviewers to focus regardless of which diagonal or visual back I use but I will play some more.

Happy scoping all

Simon

Archived