Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zeiss microscope eyepieces

I've just bought a Baader MarkV binoviewer and have been researching eyepieces and barlows that will get the best out of MkVs - particularly for HA and high power WL solar with a Takahashi FC-100 and Lunt LS60. I have 15mm and 20mm pairs of TeleVue plossls and 25mm Fujiyama orthos which I'm sure will do an excellent job, and have the option of adding another Panoptic 24mm to take advantage of the binoviewer's 30mm prisms, but I've also been looking into microscope EPs, which Stu has been using (and writing about on SGL) very successfully for white light with his MKIVs at 200x plus. Last week I had a very interesting conversation with the manager of a local secondhand camera shop, who was raving about Zeiss, Leica and Nikon microscope EPs adjusted for astronomy - in particular Zeiss PL, W-PL and E-PL ranges. Lots of MkV owners over the pond also rate their performance as comparable to some of the top astro orthos. Inevitably they are not cheap unless you get lucky on eBay - expect to pay about the same as a new Morpheus - though costs rise if you want wider fovs. Very grateful to Stu for sharing his experiences with his Zeiss W-PLs. Have other SGL members used microscope EPs for binoviewing? 

• Like 1

Interesting post this. As I have seen bits and pieces over the years, but not a full explanation to what these can add. Obviously being microscope pieces , do they need some sort of conversion to work? How do they perform ? What targets are they best for ?  And what set up can or can they not be used in . So looking forward to some posts to try and open up and clarify the limitations and advantages

• Like 1

I have a small collection of Zeiss microscope eyepieces that I sometimes use. They are a weird size and I have turned numerous adapters so they fit in my focuser. They are very good, very sharp on axis but a little fuzzy at the edges. Not as good as my Claves but as good a many plossl's I've tried. I'm not near mine at the moment they are hidden in the shed but they are not modern microscope eyepieces, these are the much older types, maybe 1970's. They are marked x6.3, x10, and x15 I think.

• Like 1

@Highburymark I’ve seen the thread, will reply properly when I have a  chance :) 

There is an excellent thread somewhere, probably on CN which has loads of detail.

If I had to summarise, the best ones I have tried have been 25mm effective focal length, bags of eye relief and a big exit lens. They are very low scatter, and take barlowing to a silly extent. They do need adapters to fit 1.25” eyepieces but these are cheap to buy off eBay.

More to follow :) 

Edit Having seen Docs comment, I only ever use mine for binoviewing where the focus is definitely on axis

• Like 1

I have been using some E Pl 10x/25 for months on my bino, but because I need a barlow to reach focus on my dobsonian, I end up with a high magnification and too much eye relief, so, not the best for my case only...

• Like 1

Thanks all. Am wondering if they are particularly good for solar observing, where sharpness across the fov is less important? I've tested Fujiyama orthos against TV plossls at varying mags on the Sun (HA) and still prefer the plossls - but seems as if many of the Zeiss microscope EPs are not real orthos and cannot be categorised together - very different glass configurations. Lots of copies out there on the used market so beware the shark infested waters of eBay 

Took a photo of mine. As I said before for the price I think I paid about £20 each they are pretty much a bargain.

ykiRfb.jpg

All are Zeiss.

Back row: x5, x7 (plus adapter), K15x. Front row: K10x, x10, x10 (with pointer)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Here's a comparison review of the Zeiss E-PL 10x25 vs 24mm Panoptics in a binoviewer.

There's a pair of these Zeiss eyepieces on CN classifieds right now.

Thanks Louis - noticed that the E-PLs were particularly highly rated.

After buying the MkVs think I might pass on the CN classifieds......

• 2 years later...

So it only took me two and a half years. But I’ve finally got hold of a couple of Zeiss microscope eyepieces to see how they perform with binoviewers - particularly for ha and white light solar observing. These are OMNI 25mm surgical EPs, made in “West Germany” - two words guaranteed to strike fear into the heart of any England football fan of my vintage, but happily invoking the opposite reaction when etched into the housing of a period Zeiss EP.  
I think SGL’s resident Zeiss expert, Stu, has had a pair of these, though now has the wider W-Pl model. In brief tests today, they delivered beautifully clear views - marginally nicer, I thought than my Fujiyama 25mm orthos - but really need to see how they compare at high powers in perfect seeing.

C70C6588-5DDF-44DE-9716-37BDDB066B00.jpeg

• Like 2

I once bought a pair of MB1s of a gentleman in Edinburgh who had switched to the MKvs (Zeiss EPs) he was also using them to great effect on his AP160 , I can't imagine Zeiss optics being other than very good , when I see people peering down a microscope on the TV I always try and pause the image to see what kind of optics they are using and it's often Zeiss , Leica or even Olympus , imho the ultimate optical manufacturer is Leica and this is mainly based on my experience with their camera lenses.

Brian 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solar B said:

I once bought a pair of MB1s of a gentleman in Edinburgh who had switched to the MKvs (Zeiss EPs) he was also using them to great effect on his AP160 , I can't imagine Zeiss optics being other than very good , when I see people peering down a microscope on the TV I always try and pause the image to see what kind of optics they are using and it's often Zeiss , Leica or even Olympus , imho the ultimate optical manufacturer is Leica and this is mainly based on my experience with their camera lenses.

Brian 

There’s a Leica microscope eyepiece - HC Plan 10x/25 - which is highly rated for astronomy Brian, but very difficult to find 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

There’s a Leica microscope eyepiece - HC Plan 10x/25 - which is highly rated for astronomy Brian, but very difficult to find 

Are these they Mark .... Interesting pitch or comment but I won't be buying them , seems about right or even a reasonable cost for Leica 🔴

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Microscope-Eyepieces-HC-PLAN-s-10X-25-M-507808-11507808-Best-of-the-Range/274470935139?hash=item3fe7be1a63:g:mJEAAOSwmAheZlB2&redirect=mobile

Brian

1 minute ago, Solar B said:

Are these they Mark .... Interesting pitch or comment but I won't be buying them , seems about right or even a reasonable cost for Leica 🔴

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Microscope-Eyepieces-HC-PLAN-s-10X-25-M-507808-11507808-Best-of-the-Range/274470935139?hash=item3fe7be1a63:g:mJEAAOSwmAheZlB2&redirect=mobile

Brian

As a newbie to microscope optics, but having learned enough to know that there are sub par copies circulating around the web, I wouldn’t like to say Brian. But they look good - and the price is certainly “authentic”. (Though no more than a couple of Delites). So if the real deal, could be very nice.

• Thanks 1

Here are a couple of pics. Nice big eye lens, lovely coatings. 25mm focal length. 30mm barrel fitted with 1.25” adapter. Likely to be 1-2-1 Konig design, I gather. Sumptuous daytime views through the binoviewer today, though slightly fussy on eye position with 20mm+ eye relief. Might investigate some eye guards.

B613F4A4-C87F-4454-B606-12D25B422F68.jpeg

D32633A0-E110-404E-A2C9-BDA10EDF9AF9.jpeg

CD9DA0D8-8BC9-4EC7-A633-B96E1BBCB83D.jpeg

292E9904-012D-414E-8C02-CDBD038880B4.jpeg

• Like 2

Intrigued I looked further into the Leica EPs as believe them to be the real McCoy & enquired if they come housed in the legendary silver boxes , they don't apparently but do come in dedicated bolt cases , I'm still not buying them but in my opinion it's not a case of if can Leica keep up with the best from T.V , Pentax , Tak & TMB ect it's more a case of can they keep up with 🔴

Brian 

19 hours ago, Solar B said:

Intrigued I looked further into the Leica EPs as believe them to be the real McCoy & enquired if they come housed in the legendary silver boxes , they don't apparently but do come in dedicated bolt cases , I'm still not buying them but in my opinion it's not a case of if can Leica keep up with the best from T.V , Pentax , Tak & TMB ect it's more a case of can they keep up with 🔴

Brian 

My only experience with Leica was the ASPH zoom (which I’m glad has gone to a good home) and the 1.8x extender - they were both wonderful. If the pair online are pukka, and I’m sure they are, I bet they would be stunning - and you get two for half the cost of a 21mm Ethos. Even as a TeleVue fan, would much rather have the Leicas

• Thanks 1

Mark I've found the perfect pair of bino's for you described as deer-stalker twin telescope ,quite possibly the most unusual pair I've ever seen ! but in keeping with topic and plz note the sellers name 😉

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRAUSS-CIE-ZEISS-ERFURT-BERLIN-LARGE-BINOCULARS-DEER-STALKER-TWIN-TELESCOPE/113531623176?hash=item1a6f031708:g:D38AAOSwtKlb9XOz&redirect=mobile

On 10/09/2020 at 18:51, Solar B said:

Mark I've found the perfect pair of bino's for you described as deer-stalker twin telescope ,quite possibly the most unusual pair I've ever seen ! but in keeping with topic and plz note the sellers name 😉

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRAUSS-CIE-ZEISS-ERFURT-BERLIN-LARGE-BINOCULARS-DEER-STALKER-TWIN-TELESCOPE/113531623176?hash=item1a6f031708:g:D38AAOSwtKlb9XOz&redirect=mobile

Excellent - thanks Brian. Afraid the deer population in my part of north London has diminished in recent millennia, so not sure how much use I’d get out of them. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Another 14 months have flown by, and I’ve acquired a second pair of microscope eyepieces - this time Leica HC Plan S 10x/22 M (model 507807) - which means they’re 25mm EPs with a 22mm field stop, long eye relief and adjustable diopter. Bought them from an eBay seller in the US, around £90 each, in perfect condition. Nice heavy metal construction. Smaller than expected. There is a wider model - 25mm field stop - but it’s at least double the price. There’s a superb pair on eBay UK currently - but at £595, only for those with deep pockets.
The trick with both Zeiss and Leica microscope EPs is to get German  examples, avoiding anything from China or Singapore, which seem to use inferior optics. Adapting them to 1.25” is easy - just used some tape and good quality writing paper to add 1.75mm to the barrel diameter. They now fit snugly into the binoviewer. 
First daytime tests show they are incredibly sharp, and managed a quick solar (Ha) session this morning. But really looking forward to getting them out under the night sky. If these eyepieces are as good as some experts say - alongside some of the rarer orthoscopics that occasionally pop up for considerably more than £90 - then they offer excellent value. 

• Like 1