Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zeiss microscope eyepieces

11 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

The field lens in that eyepiece is desperately in need of edge blackening.

Coatings look good.

It’s a common feature on all these Leica eyepieces Don. Whether the field lens is easily removable to blacken the edges I don’t know. They are also positioned about 1mm from the edge of the barrel, so have to be carefully handled

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/11/2021 at 09:15, Highburymark said:

The trick with both Zeiss and Leica microscope EPs is to get German  examples, avoiding anything from China or Singapore, which seem to use inferior optics. Adapting them to 1.25” is easy - just used some tape and good quality writing paper to add 1.75mm to the barrel diameter. They now fit snugly into the binoviewer. 

How is it possible to tell if Zeiss or Leica eyepieces are made in Germany? I looked for a made-in stamp on mine but can't find them. 

10 hours ago, takurrito said:

How is it possible to tell if Zeiss or Leica eyepieces are made in Germany? I looked for a made-in stamp on mine but can't find them. 

It’s not easy. My OPMIs are marked as made in West Germany (so obviously pre-Berlin Wall coming down) - most OPMI 10x/22B are marked - see pair in pic. Many other Zeiss micro eyepieces aren’t marked, and some of the ones that are can still be sub par, apparently. My strategy was to only buy from established microscope dealers on eBay - then you know you are more likely to be getting EPs that have been used for years, or decades, by professionals. Many of the best Zeiss examples come in plastic cases which have country of manufacture. I’d recommend reading the many useful threads on CN which give more details and advice on how to buy the best microscope eyepieces. 

8C33843B-1084-429E-944A-0DD8CD4065B0.jpeg