NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trying to decide on a mount for Tak60?

Chris

Hi, I seem to be struggling to decide on a grab n go mount for my Tak fs60cb, and can't decide which mount to place in the FLO basket? (I've already placed a Tak prism diagonal in the basket, erm? along with a few other bits :icon_redface: When will I stop spending! I may need an intervention :grin: ) 

Candidates below, please help me decide!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/fotomate-tripods/fotomate-vt-2900-extra-heavy-duty-semi-professional-2-way-tripod.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-az-pronto-alt-azimuth-mount-tripod.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-mini-porta.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-porta-ii-mount.html

Wild card:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-2-deluxe.html (there's a part of me that wan'ts to stick a camera off the back off the Tak60 with the flattener at some point. I would alt/az mod it for grab n go)

Hmmm? yeah, help :unsure:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd go for the AZ5 if I wanted an Altaz, but I'd prefer an EQ5 rather than the EQ3 as a g&g equatorial. The EQ5 is still light to carry, and if you attach a RA drive you can still override the motor using manual slow motions by loosening the clutch. With the EQ3, once the RA motor is attached, you can't use the manual RA as there is no clutch mechanism with the motor package.

51 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Hi, I seem to be struggling to decide on a grab n go mount for my Tak fs60cb,

I've used my Tak FS60CB on both a Vixen Porta and a mini-Porta. Of the two, definitely go for the larger one. 

I have no experience of the other mounts.

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8915.JPG

11 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

With the EQ3, once the RA motor is attached, you can't use the manual RA as there is no clutch mechanism with the motor package.

Very good point! That's the EQ3 out the running. I think half the problem is that I'm spoiled for choice!

If I went for the AZ5, it would be the package with the tripod. Do you have the black ali tripod with yours, Mike? I've got a feeling you bought the head only?   

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I've used my Tak FS60CB on both a Vixen Porta and a mini-Porta. Of the two, definitely go for the larger one. 

I have no experience of the other mounts.

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8915.JPG

That does look the part, thanks for taking the time to post a pic :)  It almost looks like it's made for it! Jeez it would have to be the most expensive which is the only thing putting me off  (I've spent so much over the last couple of weeks!) I was kind of hoping you'd say the mini porta would be ok, but I'll rule it out as you've used one with the scope in question and don't recommend it. I'll think about the Porta II. 

That's two mounts ruled out, I'm going to edit the first post and put a line through them.

That sweety is light! I would get a sturdy but light mount.

In the past I used a Manfrotto video mount, which was great for the TV-60. Now it is used by my mother in Italy with her pair of 15x70 binoculars. I've recently invested some time researching a new mount for my TV-60, and this is what I've ordered: 1) a photo tripod with central column (Manfrotto: MT190XPRO4), 2) a mini-giro mount (TS AZT6-GR). Due to the light weight of the telescope, there is no need of counterweights. I've already got the tripod, and will collect the mount tomorrow. 

Links: 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9334_TS-Optics-Tilting-Head-and-Altazimuth-Mount-for-photo-tripods.html (you can also get this without clamp)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FZLBVBG/?coliid=I2I0ZQUR6L6TA1&colid=315FZKDYB6FLA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  

Pics tomorrow.. :) 

Hey Piero, looks very nice! I'd be interested to see what the scope, tripod and mini giro look like when all put together :) I like the photo tripod idea, and was looking at this: 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/fotomate-tripods/fotomate-vt-2900-extra-heavy-duty-semi-professional-2-way-tripod.html

Seems to have double the payload weight of the Tak60 and it's affordable taking into account my big spend recently.

I'd rather buy from FLO as I've got a bunch of stuff in the basket pending so I can get awat with only paying postage once....plus I tend to mainly buy from them anyway.

My gut feeling is either the fotomate, or the AZ5 at the moment.  

Other thoughts: 

- I would not bother about slow motions. With a 27mm field stop eyepiece, you will get about 4.4 degrees of sky at <=15x. You will observe planets between 80x and 120x most of the time. In any case, these mags are still low, making tracking quite easy. 

- Personally, I'd get a tripod with a central column so that it's possible to observe standing. This means that you will not need to carry a chair when you want to observe. The 60mm on a solid but light tripod can be carried out in one go, meaning that you can take advantage of very short sessions any time you want. 

The video tripod you selected will do the job fine. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it is sold at a good price.

Something to consider: video mounts are great for spanning around, but they can be rather tricky to use when you reach altitudes above 75-80 deg. As long as you use light eyepieces, a giro mount allows you observations at the zenith more easily. 

You could also check Mod @John's tripod for his TV Ranger 70mm. That should also do the job well for you. He posted some photo in other threads. 

Some good advice, Piero, thank you :) I did think the video head might not be great near zenith, but it sounds like a hoot below about 70 degrees. On the other hand I've now almost discounted the AZ5 package because I've re-read some owners views and the tripod is a bit too on the wobbly side considering the sturdiness of the head, even for a small scope. Plus I think you're right about the slow mo's being over kill for a 60mm f/5.9.

I'll go look at John's Pronto thread again, plus I've just remembered the Astronomy and Nature centre did some recent Youtube vids on the Fotomate's and the new Skywatcher AZ's, so I'll re-watch those and report back.

Vids below in case anyone stumbles across this thread and is in the same quandary:

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Very good point! That's the EQ3 out the running. I think half the problem is that I'm spoiled for choice!

If I went for the AZ5, it would be the package with the tripod. Do you have the black ali tripod with yours, Mike? I've got a feeling you bought the head only?   

That's right Chris, I just bought the head and attached it to a Vixen tripod. 

20170801_143954.jpg.38187cbee03211d8c840eb5bb89c2102.thumb.jpg.413bfc4706cf51a98296e8ac01e767fb.jpg

How about a mini Ercole Chris, on a decent photo tripod?

Depends whether you like/want slo mos or not.

AZGTI? Can be mounted on a wedge and gives you EQ for a bit of AP too?

39 minutes ago, Piero said:

You could also check Mod @John's tripod for his TV Ranger 70mm. That should also do the job well for you. He posted some photo in other threads. 

Edited 34 minutes ago by Piero

Just found the thread, and it looks very light weight. I might quickly check out the lighter fotomate with that in mind.

Just now, Stu said:

How about a mini Ercole Chris, on a decent photo tripod?

Depends whether you like/want slo mos or not.

AZGTI? Can be mounted on a wedge and gives you EQ for a bit of AP too?

I'd likely need to look elsewhere other than FLO for anything resembling the mini ercole, but I'll certainly consider it, Stu, I am struggling with the current list! 

I looked at the AZ gti and it's a 40-60 day wait again at the moment, they do seem very popular! Not sure I want two goto mounts either, I'd rather have a manual or clock drive mount for grab n go.

The CPC800 is awasome for goto with the gps. I need to sort out the power requirements because first light it kept on grinding to a halt even with the Nevada 12v 5A to 8A supply FLO kindly sent me when the Astro lynx supply didn't work. A much better cable by astro lynx should help get the extra juice to the mount, but yes I think that's the only goto I want at the moment I think :)   

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

I might quickly check out the lighter fotomate with that in mind.

Make sure that the head is good enough. Some video tripods have some form of counterbalancing. This is positive as it stabilises, but also negative when pointing high. On the other hand, without any counterbalance, you will always have to fully lock the axes before observing. This can be distracting and problematic at higher mags. 

Personally, I'd go for a mini giro. With light eyepieces, you can still balance the telescope sliding the dovetail on the mount clamp. 

21 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The AYO II would look nice in red with your little Tak

For a bigger scope sure, if say I had a TSA120 or a 100DL, but with a tiny 60mm!? I've just sold an Ercole which is similar and it's a really robust heavy mount ideal for larger scopes.

You sure do like your anodised red I've noticed ;) 

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

For a bigger scope sure, if say I had a TSA120 or a 100DL, but with a tiny 60mm!? I've just sold an Ercole which is similar and it's a really robust heavy mount ideal for larger scopes.

You sure do like your anodised red I've noticed ;) 

:blob6::blob6::blob6::blob8:

The deed is done, order placed! I wanted to stick with FLO as they have always done really good by me, plus I had several items already sitting in the basket with them! If FLO sold mini giros I could have well gone with one of those, but it ended up a tight race between the Fotomate and the AZ5, and I chose the Fotomate:

The logic - the Tak60 is very short so the pan handle of the Fotomate would stop me from having to grab the middle of the scope and twist it into position. I'll mainly be using this setup for quick sessions on the Moon and bright planets, with some star field sweeping in between, so zenith viewing wouldn't be that frequent. The AZ5's side slung clamp would put the Tak's finder in a bad position also. I was also impressed by the spring tensioning of the Fotomate's video head when tilted right up, it seemed to cope really well with 100mm binos at 80 degrees in the above video. 

I'll let you guys know how things 'pan' out, thanks for helping me narrow things down :) 

I hope you enjoy it Chris. Not sure I would have done the same but if the head is decent then it should be fine.

The problem with photo heads is that the weight is offset from the axis of rotation, so they tend to need a fair amount of tension to stop them falling back when towards the zenith, particularly with heavy eyepieces.

That said, I did exactly the same thing for quite a while with a WO 66mm. It was fine most of the time but struggled a bit with a 22mm Nag in it!! :) 

Congrats Chris on the new scope and mount. If you struggle with the weight offset you can always try the mod I did a while ago. 

If you had gone for am AZ5, you could have always got round the side mounting issue by using an L bracket which effectively top mounts the scope but without the weight offset issue, although you lose the ability to balance lengthways. You introduce a little more vibration but not an issue at low mags. 

Anyway, have fun!

I often use the Tak 60 on a small photo tripod and Gitzo fluid bird watching head when traveling as it can double for photography work to save space and weight.  While altitudes near the zenith are a little more difficult it is definitely a workable solution so you should be fine.

Archived