Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to decide on a mount for Tak60?

Chris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stu said:

I hope you enjoy it Chris. Not sure I would have done the same but if the head is decent then it should be fine.

The problem with photo heads is that the weight is offset from the axis of rotation, so they tend to need a fair amount of tension to stop them falling back when towards the zenith, particularly with heavy eyepieces.

That said, I did exactly the same thing for quite a while with a WO 66mm. It was fine most of the time but struggled a bit with a 22mm Nag in it!! :) 

That was my experience too, Stu. As long as your not looking too high in the sky it's fine. But there is no doubting the portability of a phototripod compared with the other options.  I still use mine from time to time and have taken one all over Australia and NZ with a small scope.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I hope you enjoy it Chris. Not sure I would have done the same but if the head is decent then it should be fine.

The problem with photo heads is that the weight is offset from the axis of rotation, so they tend to need a fair amount of tension to stop them falling back when towards the zenith, particularly with heavy eyepieces.

That said, I did exactly the same thing for quite a while with a WO 66mm. It was fine most of the time but struggled a bit with a 22mm Nag in it!! :) 

Thanks Stu, If the head was anything like the one on my old Horizon tripod I wouldn't have gone this way, but watching the above Astronomy and Nature Centre video the head on the Fotomate looks a bit special. I'm really impressed with how well it holds those big 100mm bins at 80 degrees no hands and with no friction clutch on. It must be a really good spring tension system and I'm keen to give it a go. Sometimes you have to have a gamble in case it pays off, and if it does I'll spread the word, and if it doesn't work I'll be honest about it and use it for bins and photography etc. 

I won't be using anything heavier than Vixen SLV's, so helping that will help.

I've just seen the thread you linked, I had exactly the same looking WO66 in blue on my horizon tripod. I didn't have the nice big 22nag though, just Plossls :grin:

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Congrats Chris on the new scope and mount. If you struggle with the weight offset you can always try the mod I did a while ago. 

If you had gone for am AZ5, you could have always got round the side mounting issue by using an L bracket which effectively top mounts the scope but without the weight offset issue, although you lose the ability to balance lengthways. You introduce a little more vibration but not an issue at low mags. 

Anyway, have fun!

Thanks Rob, 

I'm hoping the special tensioning system the fotomate has will be enough but if not I'll give that a go, thanks :)

I remember doing the L bracket thing with an AZ4 and an 81mm Vixen binscope, only I had to reverse the L bracket. Like you say it worked well for low mags. 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to show you a pic of my new mount, because APM dispatched me the basic Ts az6 without saddle instead of the complete package I ordered.. hopefully it will be sorted out...

19 minutes ago, Piero said:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to show you a pic of my new mount, because APM dispatched me the basic Ts az6 without saddle instead of the complete package I ordered.. hopefully it will be sorted out...

Oh no! :( I hope they sort it out quickly for you, Piero. 

It's really a shame because I am so looking forward to trying this new tripod+mount with the TV60. Just looking at it, and it's perfect !! :) 

Anyway, APM was contacted, and hopefully they will answer me tomorrow, without me having to chase them.  

Err? Ooops!

FLO haven't shipped any of my items yet, so I'd better ping them a message to cancel the Fotomate item off the order or give me store cred. Steve will understand, I couldn't resist it's perfect for the Tak60!

FLO really should stock these types of mounts, they have the AYO but that's BIG!

4 minutes ago, Piero said:

It's really a shame because I am so looking forward to trying this new tripod+mount with the TV60. Just looking at it, and it's perfect !! :) 

Anyway, APM was contacted, and hopefully they will answer me tomorrow, without me having to chase them.  

Fingers crossed for you.

APM replied this morning, saying that they will dispatch the saddle asap. Very glad about this. Will post a picture when all is sorted out.

Sorry for slightly derailing this topic.

44 minutes ago, Piero said:

APM replied this morning, saying that they will dispatch the saddle asap. Very glad about this. Will post a picture when all is sorted out.

Sorry for slightly derailing this topic.

Good to hear, and yes, pics please :) 

So this is what I was lucky enough to end up with - Skywatcher gti tripod, techno scope, extension, Berlebach castor AZ mount head, and TS optics 2kg counter weight and extension bar. This was all advertised on SGL and seemed perfect for the job :) 

I'm replacing the tall barlow plus SLV arrangement at the back for a Vixen 3.4mm HR eyepiece for Lunar and Planetary grab n go. I've also bought a WO prism diagonal with inbuilt helical focuser for fine focus : )

IMG_20180526_150328.jpg

IMG_20180526_150313.jpg

15 minutes ago, Lockie said:

So this is what I was lucky enough to end up with - Skywatcher gti tripod, techno scope, extension, Berlebach castor AZ mount head, and TS optics 2kg counter weight and extension bar. This was all advertised on SGL and seemed perfect for the job :) 

I'm replacing the tall barlow plus SLV arrangement at the back for a Vixen 3.4mm HR eyepiece for Lunar and Planetary grab n go. I've also bought a WO prism diagonal with inbuilt helical focuser for fine focus : )

IMG_20180526_150328.jpg

IMG_20180526_150313.jpg

Looks great! you have been faster than me at sorting this out! :) 

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Looks great! you have been faster than me at sorting this out! :) 

I think I just got your share of the luck, Piero. Any word on your remaining items yet?

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

I think I just got your share of the luck, Piero. Any word on your remaining items yet?

APM dispatched the saddle on Thursday, and it will arrive next Tuesday. The 1/4" screws I ordered are already here. What I still miss is the dovetail, whose order was placed on 365Astronomy last Tuesday, but no reply since then... Hopefully, everything will be sorted next week. :) 

51 minutes ago, Piero said:

APM dispatched the saddle on Thursday, and it will arrive next Tuesday. The 1/4" screws I ordered are already here. What I still miss is the dovetail, whose order was placed on 365Astronomy last Tuesday, but no reply since then... Hopefully, everything will be sorted next week. :) 

Fingers crossed for you :) 

4 hours ago, Lockie said:

Looks like the perfect set-up Chris.

Looks really good Chris, probably close to my setup with the Giro-WR. Should work really well and give you smooth movement right to the zenith.

Did you rethink on the photo head or have you got that too?

Hi Stu, when I saw this little beauty pop up in the ads, I quickly amended my order with flo not to include the fotomate tripod as they hadn't shipped yet. I'm sure the fotomate would have been good, just that this is probably better. I think flo should stock something similar to this, as a smaller option to the sky tee and AYO, I might suggest it too them. 

21 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Hi Stu, when I saw this little beauty pop up in the ads, I quickly amended my order with flo not to include the fotomate tripod as they hadn't shipped yet. I'm sure the fotomate would have been good, just that this is probably better. I think flo should stock something similar to this, as a smaller option to the sky tee and AYO, I might suggest it too them. 

I think you made exactly the right decision, Chris. You will be much happier with this set-up.

And don't forget to update your signature with the Vixen HR 3.4 mm!

6 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I think you made exactly the right decision, Chris. You will be much happier with this set-up.

And don't forget to update your signature with the Vixen HR 3.4 mm!

Thanks Jeremy, I think so too :) 

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on that Vixen HR 3.4mm, it's sat at a depot just a few miles away but I won't get it until Tuesday. 

When they first came on the scene I kind of mocked these EP's a little, wondering if there was a market for such short FL EP's. I'm eating my words now I've seen some of the reviews!   

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on that Vixen HR 3.4mm, it's sat at a depot just a few miles away but I won't get it until Tuesday. 

I guess a raid is out of the question? I am sure Tuesday will be here before you know it.

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I guess a raid is out of the question? I am sure Tuesday will be here before you know it.

It's all good, I now have some lovely kit available if the clouds part later. Sig now changed :) 

Archived