Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where are the stars.

Wobbly Bob

I was thinking this morning how fortunate we are to have overseas members who can remind us with there observations and images how the sky really looks these days. We in the Southeast UK have been driven to discussing the colour of our focusing knobs an whether they are plastic or metal or flipping through our old images.

What I am trying to say is THIS WEATHER IS PANTS.

Contrary to popular belief, moaning about the weather won't make it any better. We've had the best part of 7 days wall to wall sunshine and about 5 clear nights. If I wasn't stuck in this hospital bed I'd be out doing Ha observing by day and lovely relaxing wide field by night. 

19 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Contrary to popular belief, moaning about the weather won't make it any better. We've had the best part of 7 days wall to wall sunshine and about 5 clear nights. If I wasn't stuck in this hospital bed I'd be out doing Ha observing by day and lovely relaxing wide field by night. 

My GF was in Dublin last weekend.  Wall to wall sunshine she said.  220 miles away as the crow flies and here in Nottingham we had two days incessant rain and yesterday was totally clouded over - as was all last week.

The weather is utterly pants.  It's 6C at the moment and we are in May almost.  I agree with the OP.

31 minutes ago, Wobbly Bob said:

I was thinking this morning how fortunate we are to have overseas members who can remind us with there observations and images how the sky really looks these days. We in the Southeast UK have been driven to discussing the colour of our focusing knobs an whether they are plastic or metal or flipping through our old images.

What I am trying to say is THIS WEATHER IS PANTS.

Unfortunately it hasn't been much better in Southern Spain, as I'm sure @swag72 will agree.  I was out for 5 days a couple of weeks ago and didn't get past polar alignment, with wall to wall cloud for the whole trip.

19 minutes ago, domstar said:

The moon is full so welcome clouds. I'm always happy when it's cloudy around full moon otherwise it's a waste of a clear night (like yesterday).

Get interested in Lunar...?? The moon is fascinating to observe and photograph.

2 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Get interested in Lunar...?? The moon is fascinating to observe and photograph.

Ha Ha, not laughing at you kirkster, it is the fact that I have bought a solar scope and not seen the sun for ages.

31 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Sorry to hear you are laid up in hospital kirkster501 hope you are out of there soon. it may glorious sunshine in Ireland but apart from 3 days it has been almost permanent cloud cover here. 

Just now, Wobbly Bob said:

Sorry to hear you are laid up in hospital kirkster501 hope you are out of there soon. it may glorious sunshine in Ireland but apart from 3 days it has been almost permanent cloud cover here. 

Paul is the one in hospital Bob, not me......  Yes, i hope he get's better quickly.  Spent far too long is those places in recent years myself.

@kirkster501 I like the moon even though I prefer it when it's not around but when it's full, it's not very interesting. I've seen a lot of great photos of the moon here but, unlike deep-sky, the views are usually better at the eyepiece. I know it's silly but I find myself hoping for clouds (just for me, not for others) if there's a full moon or if I'm unable to go out observing. I know there is no cosmic trade-off.

If it makes anyone feel better, I live in a 17th century market town in east Lanc's, and although its often a little misty with stable air, I also get some reasonable star lit nights when the milkyway can be seen from my front door step. I'm also surrounded by plenty of countryside and moorland, so can be away from the lights of town in only a few minutes. It's not perfect but you've got to think positive. If the moon is all you can see, then study the moon, its fascinating! :icon_biggrin:

Archived