Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cleaned filthy mirror - with pictures

15 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Nice set of pictures there, I have a wash cycle on my washing machine that works  delicates  :icon_biggrin:.

Alan

Give it a go ? . And let us know how it turns out. I have a feeling your big mirror will turn into lots of little ones ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Give it a go ? . And let us know how it turns out. I have a feeling your big mirror will turn into lots of little ones ?

I am sure it would, I just wondered if someone somewhere had ever done it, I hope not, but then remember someone once put a poodle in the mircowave to dry it after a wash.

Alan

I got round to cleaning mine the other day, it was worth doing I think.

while I had the mirror cell out, I noticed one of the clips wasn't tightened right down like the other two were.

There was at least a 1 maybe 2mm gap under the foam pad on the clip, would that make much of a difference whilst imaging? I'm wondering if that's why stars are rarely round in my pics.

On 25/04/2018 at 16:43, Timebandit said:

I do recall a thread some years ago on CN about a chap who put his mirror in the dishwasher and ran it through a cycle.

It came out pristine, the glass was spotless (maybe the odd streak)

But it was just glass. The mirror coatings were gone. 

11 hours ago, Tubby Bear said:

I do recall a thread some years ago on CN about a chap who put his mirror in the dishwasher and ran it through a cycle.

It came out pristine, the glass was spotless (maybe the odd streak)

But it was just glass. The mirror coatings were gone. 

Yikes, could be useful though if you wanted a "Solar" newt..

Alan

12 hours ago, Dragon_Astro said:

I got round to cleaning mine the other day, it was worth doing I think.

while I had the mirror cell out, I noticed one of the clips wasn't tightened right down like the other two were.

There was at least a 1 maybe 2mm gap under the foam pad on the clip, would that make much of a difference whilst imaging? I'm wondering if that's why stars are rarely round in my pics.

It's the other way around. You should be able to slide some thin card between the clip and the mirror, otherwise the clips will pinch the mirror and distort it (and your star shapes). 

3 hours ago, Ricochet said:

It's the other way around. You should be able to slide some thin card between the clip and the mirror, otherwise the clips will pinch the mirror and distort it (and your star shapes). 

Yep, the clips should just lightly nip the mirror so it does not move about when you slew the scope, just enough of a nip of the bolts to prevent movement of the mirror. We're not torquing up car wheel bolts here.......

Archived