Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lukehurst 14" dob

Good morning astro types. May I introduce my new 14" David Lukehurst dob. It will rain until October (probably) :hmh:

I contacted David last September with an idea of spec and budget. I also spoke at length with several members of SGL seeking advice etc. For that advice I am eternally grateful (you know who you are). 

I was originally having standard mirrors e.g. 1/4 wave but David informed me had something "a little special" if I was interested. This turned out to be a 1/14th Hubble Optics set with a Strehl of 0.98. This is why it's 4.62 as opposed to F5. Well it would've been rude to say no. There were a couple of things I asked David to add, namely, leveling feet, bubble level and a secondary heater with controller. He has also added a Moonlite CR2 dual speed. It does all condense quite well as the top end fits inside the primary housing (once the focuser has been removed, which is incredibly simple as it only involves 2 bolts). Once built it is solid and holds collimation exceptionally well. Smooth motion on both axis with just the right amount of 'stiction'. Just have to find a power source for the secondary heater. Understandably SWMBO has banned any further expensive purchases for the foreseeable future so I'm hoping the battery won't be too pricey. Cheaper the better tbh.

Anyhoo, haven't had first light as yet but you'll all be first to know I assure you. I'm attending SGLSP in October so if anyone wants to have a look, feel free.

Clear skies one and all

Ally

DOB.jpg

DOB2.jpg

DOB3.jpg

Ally,

Congratulations on the new scope! I have a Lukehurst dob too and I am sure you are going to enjoy their great stability and accuracy.

I love all the little details like having the sides & poles numbered 1,2,3,4 to make it so easy to put it all together in the right order too.

Now for some clear sky...

Alan

P.S. I recommend the "Baader Sky Surfer 5" red dot finder as a first purchase. I find mine so easy to use.

Nice scope of quality.

Going by your signature I can see some nice wide angle eyepiece's may be on the wish list soon. Some TV 82 Naglers or 100d Ethos will go nicely with this set up, or some Pentax XW, if you are happy with something around 70d fov. Got to do justice to that 1/14 mirror set. ?

Look forward to your first report. Enjoy 

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely looking scope!

I’m very interested to hear how the Hubble Optics mirror performs. Do you know if it is Pyrex or plate glass?

I have the full mirror report at home, I'll have a look when I finish work and let you know.

39 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I will admit to having been a little concerned when he said who made the mirror, remembering how their first mirror turned out! :icon_biggrin:

I think their plate glass mirros might be very interesting if they perform as well as some of the reviews say.

Archived