SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galactic grouping

alan4908

An LRGB image of a galaxy grouping in Leo, the image represents just under 12 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.  I quite like the shot, since it illustrates the wide variety of galaxy types that are out there. 

I've included an annotated version which shows that some very distant galaxies are also present in the image. It also highlights the position of the somewhat featureless nebula NGC3193.

Alan

5acc702d0e347_15.Final.thumb.jpg.b276dbea1f2f9b0aac4298eb5ce06b35.jpg

_15_Final_Annotated.thumb.jpg.5dfee9d633472418f4edc03f1823a84a.jpg

LIGHTS: L: 17, R:17, G:18, B:18 x 600s, DARKS:20, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.

1 hour ago, alan4908 said:

_15_Final_Annotated.thumb.jpg.5dfee9d633472418f4edc03f1823a84a.jpg

Hi Alan, Can I ask what program you are using to get this detail as sometimes I find with Astrometry.net that things get a bit crowded, whereas this is really clear to read.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Very nice. A real "who's who" of galaxy types! 

Ady 

Thanks Ady :happy11:

7 hours ago, SimonS said:

Very nice image! :) love the structures of NGC3187 and NGC3185

Thanks - yes, I was happy to capture a little detail on these guys.

7 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Alan, Can I ask what program you are using to get this detail as sometimes I find with Astrometry.net that things get a bit crowded, whereas this is really clear to read.

Thanks.

Hi John - the annotated image was generated with Pixinsight - it gives various options that allows you to customize the output eg font size, stars on/off etc, so that you can tune it to generate a non-cluttered result.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I use PI but had never noticed that as it would prove quite useful, can you point me to where those settings are?

Hope you don't mind?

NB Ignore me just found it under Annotation, just need to have a play with it now.

2 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Alan, I use PI but had never noticed that as it would prove quite useful, can you point me to where those settings are?

Hope you don't mind?

Sure - firstly, open an image that you want to annotate.

You first need to plate solve the image so go to SCRIPT->Image Analysis->Image Solver. Use the search option to get the RA/DEC coordinate of your object your plate solving.

Select the solved image and then go SCRIPT->Render->Annotateimage - when you do this - various options will appear that allow you to customize your output.

Alan

@alan4908 Thanks so much Alan, just tried that on a few images and it works brilliantly, what makes it so good is that against the images I capture I can save that as the master file image for lookups of the stars etc. I would never have seen that option if it hadn't been for you, so a big thanks.

11 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Lovely image! 

That is a favourite visual target.

Paul

Thanks Paul :hello:

10 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks so much Alan, just tried that on a few images and it works brilliantly, what makes it so good is that against the images I capture I can save that as the master file image for lookups of the stars etc. I would never have seen that option if it hadn't been for you, so a big thanks.

Glad to be of service John !

Alan

Archived