Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Missing those galaxies.

cotterless45

Some five years ago , using an 8" Newtonian , I had great fun and interest observing galaxies from our back garden. We've had a lot of house building and increase in light pollution , especially from an arc lit golf driving range to the south. Looking back at notes and memories , these feature observable details and comparison of brightness.

I have a fondness for the Canes Venatici and Coma group. Nowadays , it's often not possible to get anything except a faint averted fuzz. All changes heading into dark skies and we're off to Skye in a few weeks.

It's such a shame that light pollution has robbed urban observers of such beautiful sights. For those struggling , there are acheivable clusters , planet, nebulae and binaries. Head for the hills with aperture to enjoy those vast spirals and knots, Nick.

Nick.IMG_5607.thumb.JPG.50f17f3e03668300d93575dbe21d18e4.JPGIMG_5608.thumb.JPG.79808153a862501dd65e1e1b60b57eab.JPGIMG_5609.thumb.JPG.fb0202907ad322906456cfdf572e9bef.JPGIMG_5610.thumb.JPG.b4155809bae6cde656a96af12749746e.JPG

Totally agree Nick. I have been lucky enough to have a few trips to a good dark site this year already. And the difference in views are breathtaking. Back yard galaxies from my light pollution area are faint and fuzzy. But from a dark site they pop to the eyes.

Good luck for your trip to Skye, these true dark sites are getting fewer and fewer, the more development that goes on. I dread to think what the next 10 years are going to do with the increasing developments, and the effect on our hobby with ever increasing light pollution problems.

Make the most of the true dark sites out there now, while they exist?

Yup, I used to have so much fun from my back garden, and even my front garden with my 10".

I dont even bother trying now: flooded with dazzling glare from neighbours security lights and new street white LED lighting:(:(:(

I go off in my car, but even my little spot I use has now been ruined by a security halogen light.  Very depressing...!

A bit of a depressing post to read. Continual development and poor lighting is a blight for many people.

On the positive side, I can say that since we had new lighting installed a few years ago, my skies are better by around half a magnitude, a little more after midnight when they dim, so it is not all bad news.

Yep, we just have to make the most of it. Galaxies were my main aim , with so much to find out about.

Luckily the golfers tend to pack in before midnight. When playing fields turned into housing   I was shocked at the difference it made to our sky.

It's a joy to get out to a dark site and treasure those sights. Happily there are accessible targets to observe , when the neighbours turn in !

Nick.

Archived