Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally took the plunge...

Hi

Thanks for the great discussion/advice about a beginner, portable scope.

I went to a small, local shop with the intention of checking out the Skymax 127 for purchase. It turned out they had a mint, s/h, Meade ETX 105... only been used twice by a guy who then decided he was majorly upping his budget. The optics looked as mint as the cosmetics.

The GOTO slewing sounded the same as the Skymax tracking - and with the Meade on a slower speed, 'manual' tracking for self-hunting, it was actually quieter, almost inaudible. I was quite surprised. It means I'll have the option of using the GOTO at least on field trips. (Although I'll wait to try it outside in the dead of midnight, on the flat balcony, before passing a firm judgment!) I was smitten. The scope seemed a better build quality than the 127, and is is quite compact and sexy looking, so perfect for leaving by the balcony doors, ready to lift out!

So just got to wait officially until Wednesday for my birthday to get it set up... :occasion9: No doubt the south of England will be covered in cloud for the next few weeks. Sorry guys!

Thanks again

Sue

Congrats on the scope Sue :D

Just one thing to watch with the ETX, its very sensitive to power levels. I couldn't work out why mine would work great one night and then badly the next :) it turned out that I was using rechargable batteries and as soon as the power level started falling the goto didn't have enough umph. I'd suggest a powerpack, it'll be fine then if you charge between uses.

Enjoy

Helen

I'm so excited - not been like this over a birthday since I was a kid! I've been using my Helios 15x70 bins since April while I decided what to get, and was exstatic when I first found Jupiter - don't know what I'll be like with this!

Hopefully I'll get round to trying some shots with my 5D at some point. Got a lot to explore first! My first accessory will be the power pack, thanks for that tip.

My second is probably going to be a Russian fur hat... :laughing2:

Sue

:occasion1:

The box has been duly opened and it's all set up! I was quite surprised how simple it was. Its 5.15pm here now, and the skies are currently cloud-free... so counting down the sunset etc...!

I didn't have much luck in Maplins when I tried to get a rechargeable power pack. The young guys there had no idea what I was talking about. Anyone know exactly what I need to ask for? Will I need a Meade adapter cable of some description?

Sue

PS Jeff, no I'm not a builder!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=49038

Is the sort of thing you need as winters coming they have upped the price again...

You will need a 12V accessory plug to DC power plug lead...if you fit the wrong size intot he ETX you will knacker the socket and it wont run from the internal batts again...

Billy...

If you buy one of these, keep the receipt handy. I've had that one for 7 months... it's packed up completely. My advice now for this sort of thing would be some somrt of 12vdc bench supply.

I hope you have lots of fun with the ETX.

Ant

Archived