Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unsure of Eyepieces and Moon Filter

Hello!

I recently bought a Vivitar 76700 on a whim because it was on a sale. I've been able to get it to work alright, but was having trouble viewing the moon because of its brightness, so I ordered a moon filter. In doing research I found that 1.25" is the most common and it seemed that's what would fit mine. It arrived today and in trying to test it, the moon filter is too big to be compatible with any of the eyepieces/tubes. I have googled endlessly and 1. cannot seem to find any smaller moon filters or 2. find any explanation for why it doesn't fit the eyepieces that came with the scope, or really any extra information on the telescope. I know that most of the reviews say this model is not great, but I'm not using it for anything serious. Like I said, bought it really cheap on a whim. I'd like to be able to use this moon filter and not have to return it or get a new one. I read a review that said this telescope model is compatible with 1.25" eyepieces but I don't see how that could be the case because the 1.25" moon filter seems too big for any part of the viewing apparatus. Does anyone know anything more about this particular telescope? Or if there is some kind of adaptor I could use to make this work for me? Thank you!

According to a review on Amazon, you have 0.956 eyepieces with an adaptor. If you buy a new eyepiece you can take the adaptor out and use a 1.25 eyepiece and your moon filter. I don't have any experience with this telescope but that's what I've just read.

Domstar beat me to it! Could be an old style 24.5mm 0.965 ins diameter eyepiece, in which case the 1.25 inch filter will be too big.  If you want to use the filter to view the moon, You could purchase a better quality 1.25 eyepiece if the manual says compatable with that size e.g., a plossl type eyepiece. You may get one used for £20 or so from the web. With that scope you probably want something around 8 to 10mm to give you approximately 85x to 70x mag respectively. With that scope and good seeing in the uk, the most mag you could expect is 90x realistically. You would need to check that the scope focuser will take a 1.25inch eyepiece. I wouldn't try and get a filter for the existing eyepiece as you'd be throwing good money after bad as most people find an eyepiece upgrade is one of the first things they want to do. 

I too have done a quick search and found a thread on this forum. Take a look here.
There is a link to an instruction manual. I imagine all the specs/sizes should be contained within. 

Hope this helps.
Welcome to SGL. :thumbsup:
Pete.

p.s I don't know when you looked at the moon but it isn't much fun when it's completely full.  I (I assume everyone but I'm not sure) look at the terminator- where the shadows are. This is where you can see details better and it's not so bright.

I like full disk lunar. Besides, at a full moon DSOs are often washed out. 

As for the scope in question, determining if it does have a 1.25"-0.965" reducer in the focuser is the most important step. Of the two eyepieces apparently supplied with this telescope one is too short and one is at the upper limit for useful planetary and lunar viewing. The only alternative eyepieces available are either expensive old collectibles or cheap and very poor quality. 

Archived