NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair Sabre or SkyTee-2 For a Long Frac

Jforson

11 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

The lack of slow motion control on the Sabre mount is no disadvantage at all. The clutches on the Sabre allow for very good control on both axis, with very carful nudges its not an issue at all. Provided you have balanced properly. The Sabre can also take a number of different mounting plates saddles. 

Dave

Hi Dave, 

I was about to ask that question with respect to the Sabre, thanks for the confirmation. 

Scope ordered this morning, hopefully it will arrive over the next couple of days.  Roll in the clouds.... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jforson said:

Hi Dave, 

I was about to ask that question with respect to the Sabre, thanks for the confirmation. 

Scope ordered this morning, hopefully it will arrive over the next couple of days.  Roll in the clouds.... 

Nice one John, something I really desire myself.

I too had a SkyTee a while back. Easily handles a cpuple of Tal 100s (one on the top mount), as well as my f16 Skylight. Long cables definitely make things easier, and ADM mounts are highly recommended. Can't comment on the Sabre as I never had one, but it does look like a nice bit of kit.

WP_000135.jpg

The 102mm F11 'the big red tube' has arrived. Lovely looking scope very pleased.

It is not as heavy as I thought it would be, but it is the length that will be the issue. 

Just need to sort out a mount now in order to enjoying using it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Pics please :-)

I am out tonight but I will aim to try and get some up over the weekend. I will also do a 'little and large'  with the starwave 70ed and the f11

• Like 1

Well the sabre mount arrived today and although the clouds have set in I could not resist setting up in the house.  I will need to get an extension for the tripod but for now it is certainly useable.   I may need to move the tube rings forward on the 102mm but I will wait until I setup with diagonals and eyepieces.   

The good news is that it appears rock solid.

I appreciate all the assistance and feedback.   I will post a short first light report when the skies clear.

85561F3B-2D22-4F1C-AEBA-9FD114F97C9C.thumb.jpeg.257d7ec1ac8d38060f8a4b6c51bc0106.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Great looking set up and the candy apple red is a lovely colour for the big frac.. hope you'll be pleased with that for time to come..

I am pleased with the setup I can see it being used for a good number of years.   I am especially looking forward to getting the kids out with it.  Just need the perma cloud to disappear!

12 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Oops sorry I hadn't appreciated that you already had the Starwave.

No worries.  I enjoy using the ed80 but I have really fancied the long achro for a change.  

I think on the mount both scopes look great.  

• 2 years later...
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:34, Jforson said:

Well the sabre mount arrived today and although the clouds have set in I could not resist setting up in the house.  I will need to get an extension for the tripod but for now it is certainly useable.   I may need to move the tube rings forward on the 102mm but I will wait until I setup with diagonals and eyepieces.   

The good news is that it appears rock solid.

I appreciate all the assistance and feedback.   I will post a short first light report when the skies clear.

85561F3B-2D22-4F1C-AEBA-9FD114F97C9C.thumb.jpeg.257d7ec1ac8d38060f8a4b6c51bc0106.jpeg

Just wondering how you got on with the Sabre and that super b looking red frac?   Did the long focal length get tiring constantly pushing at high mag? 

40 minutes ago, Coco said:

Just wondering how you got on with the Sabre and that super b looking red frac?   Did the long focal length get tiring constantly pushing at high mag? 

Still using the setup, the Ed-80 not so much (needs a new focuser).  Due to the long focal length an extension tube was required, raises the sabre circa 15-16”.   With the extension the mount and scope combo is really nice. 

Love the 102 f11 for the moon, planets and doubles.  Nudging at high mag is not that bad, but I tend to use wider angled eyepieces.  

I do not consider it a portable setup though.   This is important to me because although I live in a national park, I have three street lights within 30m of my back garden.   Therefore I am limited to brighter solar system targets from the garden.  Thus the 102 f11 really only gets used in the garden.  

But I can have access to multiple bortle 2-3 skies observing sites within a short drive <5km. So, my tv-76 and tv-60 with lighter weight mounts get used about 80% of the time.   

• Thanks 1