Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Collection of all 8 planets of the Solar System!

After months of missed opportunities, I finally managed to spot (and capture) the elusive Mercury! :D   

I was observing from the middle of a city, and due to high level of air pollution anything bellow 10 degrees near the horizon is very, very tough to see. finding Venus itself took me 10 minutes with binoculars, It was right among some clouds. mercury should have been to the bottom right of it but it wasn't visible. I took some photos of venus and just as I was about to give up on mercury and go inside, I looked one more time and there it was, so faint it was barely noticeable. I was elated and managed to get some shots of it, finally completing my solar system planets bucket list :D

these have been taken over 4 years from 2014-18. the sun, earth (:p) and mercury shots are using a canon 600d, and all others are with the canon 600d + nextar 8SE.

Solar System- a Portrait.png

9 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Haha you're right of course, but I don't care what they say... Pluto will always be my number 9.

Of course, the sun isn't a planet either ...

OP could keep everyone happy by expanding the subject to be 8 planets + 5 dwarf planets ... :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 08:14, CraigT82 said:

This chap details how he got Pluto images with just a 200mm camera lens. Judy got to look in the right place!

http://dslr-astrophotography.com/interview-dslr-astrophotographer-carlos-fairbairn/

That interview ends with some great advice:

" Do you have tips and/or suggestions for our readers?
Try to reach to the maximum output that your current equipment can produce. You probably can do more with the gear you have right now.
Don’t forget that a way of achieving better results is through processing and editing. Many times you can find a good tip or learn new processes for free on the internet. That happened a lot to me!
Study the great astrophotographers and try to reach the level of their results. You may not have the same equipment as them, but it’s possible to use their results as a reference and goal.
To teach the newcomers is one of the best ways to grow our astronomy community. Always try to give proper attention to beginners.
Use astrophotography to expand your own personal universe. As the great Carl Sagan stated in two marvelous sentences: “we’re made of star-stuff” and, by doing astrophotography “we are a way for the universe to know itself”. "

Archived