Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Tank Build Completed

DeepSkyMan

Over the past couple of months have been putting together the components to build my own 12v  Power Tank.  Finally got around to putting it all together.  Not really being a DIY person, this was a bit of a leap into the unknown for me, anyway it’s all put together now and works a treat.  Thought I’d share my experience just in case there is someone out there thinking about a similar exercise, but a bit concerned about proceeding.  Here’s the list of components:

Maplin heavy duty flight case - https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr - £49.99

Bluesea Fusebox . https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/fuse-block-screw-terminal-blade-6-way-4695.html - £46.35

Dual 12v Power Interface Panels with USB and voltmeter x2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253302906460 - £30.36

LED Blade fuses - 

3A x 4 £3.96

7.5A x 4 £ 6.78

In-line LED fuse holders x 2 - £11.38

10A Twin core power cable (3 metres) £7.47

8A Rated crimp connectors (male and female) - £5.00 

Total Cost - £ 161.29

Connecting everything together was actually quite simple in the end, all that was required was to crimp the wiring together and connect the leads to the fuse box and the various device interfaces, ensuring of course that the live and earth wiring is correctly connected.

To add to the build I already had 2 10ah Deben Tracer LiPo batteries with power leads which have supplied my field power for the past 4 years these retail at £149.99 bringing the total cost of the power tank to £311.28.  This might be viewed as a considerable outlay for power, however my view is that it’s money well spent.  My power is now contained in a waterproof, easily transportable container and greatly simplifies my setup and tear down procedure when in the field.  The proof of course as they say is ‘in the pudding’.  I used the unit for the first time last weekend and it delivered just as expected.  I’ve attached a couple of pics one showing the internal layout and another showing the unit connected up, supplying power to my dew controller, WiFi and Sphinx SXW Mount/Starbook.

FA92B8B2-44D7-4764-A84F-FA584906B94D.jpeg

50911BA0-9C45-40D3-AFEA-4CD2A801AA7F.jpeg

Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

If I can make a couple of suggestions, you could get some self adhesive cable-tie bases to stick to the bottom of the case to keep the cables more secure and stop them moving about, particularly the ones from the batteries to the fuse box. Also you could cut the excess cable length from the batteries, if you don't need the extra length for other uses. :smile:

Alan

3 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

If I can make a couple of suggestions, you could get some self adhesive cable-tie bases to stick to the bottom of the case to keep the cables more secure and stop them moving about, particularly the ones from the batteries to the fuse box. Also you could cut the excess cable length from the batteries, if you don't need the extra length for other uses. :smile:

Alan

Thanks for the links Alan.  Yes these look like they would add that nice final touch ?

Archived