Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ursa Major galaxies

Hungrymark

M81 and 82 no probs, first galaxies I saw when I started observing a couple of months ago. M51 (CVn I know, but in that area) I've got once from my back garden. I went out tonight for an hour and managed M108 along with the Owl, which I was very pleased with as I'd heard they're pretty hard, but I can't for the life of me get M109 or M101, and I've tried pretty much every time I've been out. I'm in a small town, so some LP but pretty minimal looking north (hence M108). Should it be that difficult to find these two, given what I can see already? Glare off Phecda for M109 maybe? I know M101 is face on so fainter. Grrrrrr

Nice report! I had the same experience with M101. I knew I had the right spot but just couldn’t see it. Eventually got it from a dark site. If you can see M51 comfortably then you should have a shot at M101 using averted vision. If you’re only just getting M51 then I don’t think you’ll be able to see M101. If you have the option of escaping the town lights then that will give you a much better chance of seeing M101

M51, M81 and M82 will appear much brighter (and smaller)  than M101.

I was surprised of the sheer size of the pinwheel Galaxy through my es20 - 60x, roughly 'moonsize'

I think the main reason I got splendid views of M101 last year was the Objects position (near zenith) and very good transparency on that very night.

Rune

I don't know what gear you are using, but one thing to bear in mind: with objects of low surface brightness [e.g. M101] they are easier with a low magnification. If you push the magnification too high, the light is spread out over such a large area that it becomes impossible to see.

On 2/19/2018 at 22:56, Hungrymark said:

.......M51 (CVn I know, but in that area) I've got once from my back garden. 

I have had to unlearn that M51 is in Ursa Major :)  I think its taken 2 years to stop my brain jumping to the conclusion.  

• 3 months later...

M101, for me, was a 5.33mm exit pupil object. Any smaller exit pupil and M101 was not visible. Viewing in the zenith is also critical.

M101 is hard, if any light pollution is visible, but as it is quite a large object, averted vision helps a lot.

Archived