Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq5 pro goto and skywatcher 120 equinox

Can anyone comment on the use of the eq5 pro goto mount for visual with the 120 ed equinox refractor.  I'm debating the pros and cons of the eq5 mount for this scope. I can't stretch to heq5 but don't want to waste money on something that won't work.

Is anyone using this combo or has used it successfully for visual? Firstly, can the mount hold the weight easily enough - I know what the weight limit is according to SW but I'm interested to know if it works in real life so to speak.  Secondly, equatorial vs alt az for visual observing? Will the eyepiece position be a pain to manage?

Thanks

Steve 

12 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

According to this website The TAL 100rs which I use on a EQ5 goto is 4.3 kg I use a Skywatcher 8 inch reflector on it as well with no problems so depends what you scope weighs. The eight inch weighs 8.8 kg 

http://www.die-talianer.de/html/tal-100rs.html

The basic scope is 7.5Kg so I'm guessing with the diagonal, finder and eyepieces it'll be pretty close to the 9kg limit stated for the mount.

1 hour ago, Trikeflyer said:

The basic scope is 7.5Kg so I'm guessing with the diagonal, finder and eyepieces it'll be pretty close to the 9kg limit stated for the mount.

Maybe I think the EQ5 will do it though the 8 inch is 8.8 before eyepieces.

I have a Helios (old Skywatcher) EQ5 with GOTO kit installed. On top of that I have a 200p with DSLR, extra set of tube rings so I can easily rotate it and another dovetail on top with 60mm guide scope. So all in about 12kg. On a clear night, no wind, I can get 5 minute exposures if tracking and guiding is working ok. For visual I reckon it's more than capable.

1 hour ago, Donkeiller said:

It’s an EQ mount, so expect huge frustration. You are much better off with a go to Alt/Az. Mount.

I think much depends on the type of observing you plan to do. Setting up a simple EQ mount with single or dual axis motors for visual is very simple; just level and point North, that's plenty accurate enough. For high power planetary, lunar or solar work it's a very efficient, relaxing and easy way of observing, needing minimal power that will last all night.

I agree that for manual star hopping an EQ mount can be very confusing and when I'm doing this I always use an alt az mount, much more intuitive and because you are generally using low to mid power the nudging required is very easy.

Having been observing the sun and moon on a manual mount today, I know that, although it was perfectly adequate, I would have found it much more relaxing with tracking.

I think it's mainly the goto and tracking that I want. I don't see myself star hopping with a goto mount, I currently use the manual alt az  skytee 2 with some frustration on herder to locate objects. 

I've found manual tracking is ok for the moon and will probably manage for planets with the skytee 2, but I've found locating star clusters and doubles is a tricky little chore from my light polluted back garden using just an optical finder and gets very frustrating!

In the meantime, I've ordered a red dot finder for my equinox 120 ed to speed up the chance of getting into the right part of the sky before using the optical finder to star hop. I'm sure that will help somewhat. I certainly found the telrad on the dobs I gave really helps with this, so much so that I hardly use an optical finder at all on the dobs now. 

I don't think I can afford a goto alt az that could hold the equinox easily - eq5 alt az is nearly £1k New so as I'm only visual, I think I may take a punt and get an eq5 pro goto used from abs and see how it goes! 

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. 

Archived