Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just observed SN2018pv (NGC3941)

alanjgreen

Just grabbed an hour out with big dob (20").

I had it positioned in the shed for Ursa Major ready for the SN attempt.

Conditions were not the best, it was a bit windy and the sky had lost some of its early blackness. There were of course some early tube currents in the scope to contend with too.

I started with the ethos10 (x200) and the galaxy appeared with an elongated core (due to the SN being in close to the centre), the galaxy had a small dust halo surrounding it.

I dropped to the ethos8 (x250) and split the core from the SN with a clear gap. :)

I dropped to the ethos6 (x350) and the split was easy! :)

I could not split the core from the SN in the ethos21 (x100).

Returning 30 minutes later, I did split the SN from the core with both the ethos10 (x200) and the ethos13 (x150) but they were pretty tight splits coming in & out.

Should hopefully be easier on a better night.

Good luck, Alan

Well done Alan.

I got it tonight with my 12" dob at 318x. Rather tough to split the SN from the galactic core under tonights conditions. The split "came and went" as you say. Not a great galaxy night but you have to take the chance when it's clear.

Well done folks. We seem to be doing a bit better with the sky here.

Got a conclusive SN core split at 200x with 8mm Delos in 16” Dob. I could still see plenty of galactic halo and the split drifting in and out of view. 330x darkened the halo too much for my liking.

Very satisfying after a roundabout star hop to get there! 

Paul

Archived