SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium + Teamviewer = Frozen session

souls33k3r

Hi All,

I have been using Stellarium for initially helping my scope point to a position for my PHD2 calibration at Dec 0 and then roughly be around my intended target from where i will initiate the plate solving in SGP and whatnot.

So once my kit is all setup, i'll go inside to make a cuppa and stay out of the cold night, i will use Teamviewer to check on the status and progress of my imaging session. What i have noticed is that when i do teamviewer back to my machine and if i leave Stellarium on full screen (can't remember if it happen when it's minimised), my TeamViewer session would freeze up. I can't click on anything, nothing will respond. To make the session work again, i will have to go outside once again, quite out of Teamviewer and then Stellarium and only then my Teamviewer would work.

Anyone else noticed that? or has a fix for this?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

I used to use RDP until MS in their wisdom decided it wouldn't work in Win7 unless one of the PCs had Pro version installed so changed to Teamviewer, don't know about Win10 haven't tried it.

Dave

Oh really? ok i must admit i haven't tried using RDP on my Win7 machines yet and i'm pretty sure i have the home edition installed.

So back to square one. 

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

RDP.PNG.1ea8d94da09f79a181abd3415bff7d1d.PNG

Dave

Eeek! that's shoddy piece of work by MS.

35 minutes ago, spillage said:

which version of team viewer are you running?

It's the latest, well i use TV on my mobile so whatever the latest version is. Tried it both on iOS and Android. But this also happened on the desktop version as well.

35 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

Try it with Stellarium in a window - F11 I believe. Teamviewer might be grumpy about the overlay

I think i must've tried that but i seriously can not remember. Might give this one a go tonight even if it's indoors.

I run tv 12 on my linux box indoors to control my w7 machine that is outside. I found that the latest version 13 for me lacked the screen settings so I could not optimize for quality or speed.

It may be that for some reason this is causing the issue. It might be worth checking if its tv 13 and then download and downgrade the 12 on the host machine.

Running tv off my old phone always gave me memory low messages but somehow managed to hold on.

Ok so slight update on this. 

I wanted to test this so just got home, fired up my machine and used Teamviewer to open Stellarium. 

Now what i noticed was that when my Stellarium was in fullscreen, teamviewer would show me the moving of the mouse on both the mobile device and on my desktop computer but on my phone it would not show me the menus that come up on the bottom but it would show up on the desktop.

I then pressed F11, i can again move the mouse etc but this time i was able to see the menus show up on the phone TV session.

I have an Intel NUC at my scope; managing an Atik Horizon Camera,  autofocuser; a myriad if software etc. Absolutely everything is then wirelessly controlled by a second laptop in my warm office.

I initially installed TeamViewer, but the 'free' (e.g. no business use) version runs over the Internet and I found it was distinctly laggy. You might only notice this problem if comparing the related mouse movements on two screens.  It was bad enough to suggest to me that it was insufficiently precise for sure-footed remote control. As I have fast 802.11ac wireless network I ideally wanted peer to peer over my LAN. You have to pay an expensive monthly subscription with TeamViewer to get that.

I then switched to RDPWrap, and my antivirus alerts went berserk, so I promptly uninstalled before ever having connected. My subsequent reading of other user experiences perhaps suggests my caution was wise, but I do know people still using it.

To resolve the issue, I upgraded Windows 10 Home on the Intel NUC to Windows 10 Pro to benefit from Remote Desktop. You only need to do tbis on one machine. Ok, as an upgrade it cost me £100, but it's (IMHO) the fastest, most dependable, stable, certain solution.  The stupid thing is that had I prior thought about this potential issue I could have purchased an Intel NUC with the Win 10 Pro OEM  installed for a trivial extra sum when compared to the upgrade price.

Despite having HC's requiring a serial to USB adapter  I have encountered zero difficulties with Windows 10 having installed a PL2303 driver provided I run some dated bits of software (like Nexremote) in Win8 compatibility mode.  IMHO it is definitely worth getting Windows 10 Pro if you have a large sensor megapixel camera as you will want fast USB3; fast 802.11ac wireless and Remote Desktop if aiming to go wireless. Don't skimp on computing power; battery capacity or operating system.

Archived