Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera Mod

tony8690

Hi Guys,

I know this has been asked so many times.

i am doing a bit of research and i want to get a few more experienced opinions on this subject.

I currently have a Canon 1300D which has not been modified at all. i want to get a bit more involved with Ha shots so i know i need to modify my camera for this, but what i dont know is wether to just get the normal Ha filter mod or the Full spectrum mod.

This camera is purely used for Astro Photography, i have a Nikon for normal day to day photography, so my canon will not ever have a lens on it.

i look to get a LPS-V4-EOS filter plus a Astronomik H-Alpha CCD 12nm filter once it has been modified.

My question would be, what would benefit me most in the long run? the filter removal or the full spectrum?

Thanks,

Tony

The normal Astro mod involves removing just one of the two filters in the canon camera, the other is left in place as it gives IR cut which is needed for astro imaging, the one that is removed also has IR cut but also cuts the red end of the spectrum too hence removed to allow better response to red or Ha...

So a full spectrum mod removes both filters, which means then you will need an IR filter when imaging, or an LP filter that has built in IR.

The only real advantage of the full spectrum mod is if you want to Image the full spectrum, so,its up to you personally I have never had or used a full spectrum modded camera.

HTH :)

Mine is Canon 60D.
Both UV/IR & Low pass filter were removed (full spectrum), and replaced with Astrodon AD40 clear glass filter to protect the sensor from dust.
Filters:
- Astronomik Ha 12nm for astrophotography
- Astronomik UV/IR clip in for astrophotography & normal photography (CWB required)
- IDAS LPS D1 for astrophotography
- Kolari vision 590nm & Kenko R1 for IR photography

Hi,

This is probably a bit late, but have you got any good instructions to follow? I used Gary Honis' ones (http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html), though the 1300d is not listed in there. I'm not sure of what your camera's innards are like, but I do know that some Canon EOS models required soldering to get to the sensor assembly. 

Not to self-promote, but I made a post describing the modding process and the main sticking points, if you haven't modded before it might be useful. :)

The mod I did was simply removing the IR Cut filter, leaving the Low pass filter in. Autofocus wasn't effected as far as I can see, though if I used a microscope... ;):D 

John

2 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

This is probably a bit late, but have you got any good instructions to follow? I used Gary Honis' ones (http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html), though the 1300d is not listed in there. I'm not sure of what your camera's innards are like, but I do know that some Canon EOS models required soldering to get to the sensor assembly. 

Not to self-promote, but I made a post describing the modding process and the main sticking points, if you haven't modded before it might be useful. :)

The mod I did was simply removing the IR Cut filter, leaving the Low pass filter in. Autofocus wasn't effected as far as I can see, though if I used a microscope... ;):D 

John

Autofocus will have been affected very slightly, unless you shimmed the sensor after removing the filter...it is only a slight difference though :)

Thanks for the info guys!

i have sent mine off to get the Filter removed. not confident in doing it myself.

also purchased a Astronomik CLS CCD Filter Clip Filter for Canon EOS APS-C: which should get to me around the same tim ei get my camera back.

looking forward to what i can achieve with these.

Thanks,

Tony

1 hour ago, tony8690 said:

i have sent mine off to get the Filter removed. not confident in doing it myself.

also purchased a Astronomik CLS CCD Filter Clip Filter for Canon EOS APS-C: which should get to me around the same tim ei get my camera back.

Thanks,

Tony

You didn’t really need the CCD version of that filter, you could have saved a few quid, the CLS would have been fine, as you will still have IR cut in the camera, which is the difference between the two filters, but I guess you are aware of that...

5 hours ago, tony8690 said:

I have sent mine off to get the Filter removed. not confident in doing it myself.

I'm glad you reached a decision! :) Sending it off is definitely the more sensible choice...but some of us (like me) are foolhardy/cheapskate and have to modify without help from the pros! ;):D 

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

I have my camera back now from being modded, I went for the Rear filter mod and am very much looking forward to tomorrow night and Saturday when I can test this out as there should be some nice clear sky's!

DSO's on my list to tackle are:

Resette Nebula

Cone nebula

Andromeda Galaxy (again) 

Horse Head nebula

M42

looking forward to a good couple nights of AstroPhotographing! 

Thanks,

Tony

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2018 at 12:27, tony8690 said:

Thanks,

Tony

Can I ask why people use cls type filters along side a ha filter..the camera will only have the Ha bandwidth hitting the sensor as everyhing else will be blocked..or am I missing something

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Can I ask why people use cls type filters along side a ha filter..the camera will only have the Ha bandwidth hitting the sensor as everyhing else will be blocked..or am I missing something

They don't (or at least they shouldn't be) a cls ccd filter is a light pollution filter. 

Having a dslr modded is just a way of increasing its sensitivity in the red (Ha) channel. It is absolutely pointless using a Ha filter with any other filter 

Archived