NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wooden Eyepiece case or box?

Alan White

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Are you looking for suggestions, Dave? 

SGL'ers are always happy to help their chums spend their money 🙂

Looks to me like you need some 1-inch Pentax eyepieces.....

Sadly, Jeremy, my wallet doesn't need any further spending at the moment😪..much as some baby Pentax's might appeal..

Actually, I've been really impressed by the little 18mm Tak MC Ortho, so much so, that if I did have spare funds available I'd probably chuck them in that direction..or maybe the Morpheus's..or the Pentax XW's.. or..:icon_scratch::help:

Dave

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ags said:

I like the stain you chose, very retro. I have to ask: what is a Halloween Plossl?

Hello Ags,

See image attached..

The Halloween range of Celestron plossls took their name from the black and orange "spooky" livery. They were made in Taiwan, and said to be comparable with contemporary good quality Japanese plossls of the time such as Meade 3000/4000 plossls.

I acquired my 26mm pair recently for binoviewing but haven't yet tried them both together. The Cyclops views (solo) are very nice though, very sharp and with good contrast.

Dave

classifieds-58675-0-64194900-1512870065.jpg

Cheers Alan,

Yes, all the eps have bottom caps on them.

The binoviewing Ostara pairs didn't come with any caps as they came new in bolt cases. They weren't expensive so I'm not precious about them, same for the Halloweens..that said, they will always be kept in the box with the lid closed when not in use.

I use a small table located next to the scope when outside to keep the my eyepiece box handy, and have a large Berlebach accessory tray on my tripod on which to keep a few eps safely when being used.

I must say I'd be more nervous using some of the bigger and more valuable eps I used to own though!

Dave

• Like 2

I got my wooden box today from Hobby Craft. It is very light. I am glad all the hinges and latches are attached with screws so they can be removed for painting. It is a bit rough and ready - I will need to lightly sand it to get the faces smooth and take the edges off the corners. I tried it with my eyepieces and there is a lot of empty space even after I add my Herschel wedge and barlow. The box was cheap, but filling those empty eyepiece slots is going to be pricey... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

With all this talk about putting eyepieces in cheap wooden boxes, I would probably recommend reinforcing the edges and/or corners of them with metal brackets after finishing them.  It would be crushing to have the bottom or a side pop out/off sending the contents tumbling.

• Like 2

I bought this from e-bay last year. In the tray I have drilled holes for my Clave eyepieces and in the bottom fits all my astro gear. There is room for my filters, battery, two diagonals, finder, tools, dew controller and bands. So all I need to do is remember one box when I go out to the darksite.

IMG_9815.JPG

IMG_9816.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I would probably recommend reinforcing the edges and/or corners of them with metal brackets after finishing them.

The box does have an "eggshell" feeling of fragility to it. The base board I am adding with 1.25" holes will also be used to reinforce the bottom and sides as it will be fastened to the sides (and not just rest on the bottom). I will look at some metal brackets for nearer the top.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Doc said:

In the tray I have drilled holes for my Clave eyepieces and in the bottom fits all my astro gear.

I'd like to see a picture of it with the Claves in place 🙂

• Like 1

My original "eyepiece box" back in the 1960's looked like an oversized school pencil case, with a sliding lid and and insert board with 1.25" holes...Ahhhh those were the days.

About twenty years ago I made another box this time with insert foam, used a 1.25" wad punch for the TV's, and it's been in active service ever since.

eyepiece box01.jpg

eyepiece box02.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A few photos for you to look at. The bottom of the box is not done yet it's basically just boxes but one day I'll get foam cut for the diagonals, finder, dew controller/bands etc.

The holes that are empty in the eyepiece tray are for eyepieces yet to get in the set. So far I have 4,6,8,10,12,16,20,25,30,40, and 55mm. I still need 3,5,35,45,65, and 75mm so I need 6 more but they are the expensive ones and very hard to find.

Last photo shows the eyepieces.

The first photo shows the Clave 80/1208 refractor on top of a Fullerscope IV mount.

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_3011.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Ags said:

I got the base unit assembly complete today with only one ouchy finger.Tomorrow we varnish!

Looking good.

Only one ouchy finger? I'd probably have no fingers left at all 🙂

• Haha 3

On 02/05/2020 at 14:01, Doc said:

The first photo shows the Clave 80/1208 refractor on top of a Fullerscope IV mount.

What's the damping time on that set up?....minus 2 hours, perhaps??😅🤣

Seriously, that's a lovely vintage set up and eyepiece set..I imagine the scope is a superb double star splitter!

Dsvr

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

What's the damping time on that set up?....minus 2 hours, perhaps??😅🤣

Seriously, that's a lovely vintage set up and eyepiece set..I imagine the scope is a superb double star splitter!

Dsvr

Yeah a little overkill 😁

One day I'll invest in a 6" F15 to make the mount sweat a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/05/2020 at 16:31, Ags said:

The box does have an "eggshell" feeling of fragility to it. 

I first felt like that too. However, after received two coats of stain both inside and out (ie 4 coats in total), the box feels much more "finished" and up to the job. Once I've fitted new hardware on the outside, it will be fine.

I've now added in my binoviewers, a pair of x1.6 Barlow nosepieces, and a red/white light torch. Oh, and my eye patch, for blocking out stray light when cyclops viewing.

Dave

IMG_20200502_093402959.jpg

IMG_20200502_093336928.jpg

IMG_20200502_093320479.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah a little overkill 😁

One day I'll invest in a 6" F15 to make the mount sweat a bit.

Well, the lovely "Lady Andromeda" shown below would be a nice match!

I had the privilege of owning this lovely D&G USA 5" F15 until about 4 years ago, but only had  CG5 mount at the time. Her present owner, Steve, (@Saganite), now has her pier mounted on a nice EQ6, much better suited to her size!

Dave

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.f66d719b8f4c518a9a17751c6da494b5.jpeg

1465419939741.jpg.7c5b04f565fc5ee36384029059666151.jpg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Well, the lovely "Lady Andromeda" shown below would be a nice match!

I had the privilege of owning this lovely D&G USA 5" F15 until about 4 years ago, but only had  CG5 mount at the time. Her present owner, Steve, (@Saganite), now has her pier mounted on a nice EQ6, much better suited to her size!

Dave

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.f66d719b8f4c518a9a17751c6da494b5.jpeg

1465419939741.jpg.7c5b04f565fc5ee36384029059666151.jpg

That's a lovely scope Dave and a great name for her as well. I have thought about a pier but the garden layout doesn't really lend itself to one but you never know one day I might persuade the other half I need one.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 14:01, Doc said:

A few photos for you to look at. The bottom of the box is not done yet it's basically just boxes but one day I'll get foam cut for the diagonals, finder, dew controller/bands etc.

The holes that are empty in the eyepiece tray are for eyepieces yet to get in the set. So far I have 4,6,8,10,12,16,20,25,30,40, and 55mm. I still need 3,5,35,45,65, and 75mm so I need 6 more but they are the expensive ones and very hard to find.

Last photo shows the eyepieces.

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_3011.jpg

I'm like a 7 year old in a sweet shop looking at this beautiful collection. Even the filter set is is mouthwatering. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm like a 7 year old in a sweet shop looking at this beautiful collection. Even the filter set is is mouthwatering. 

Coming from you Mike a man who knows class equipment it's a wonderful compliment.

• Like 1

I completed my box. Added side handles, triple reinforced the base, double coat of varnish and I went 12 rounds with a enormous drill bit.

IMG_20200504_002350309.thumb.jpg.17e64db6ba05027241beb715d0e73eba.jpg

IMG_20200504_002404618.thumb.jpg.d7e87dc95f354c7d9510959ed3a620ab.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ags said:

I completed my box. Added side handles, triple reinforced the base, double coat of varnish and I went 12 rounds with a enormous drill bit.

Looks excellent, Agnes

12 hours ago, Ags said:

completed my box. Added side handles, triple reinforced the base, double coat of varnish and I went 12 rounds with a enormous drill bit.

Great Job, Ags, looks really nice! :thumbsup:

Dave

• Like 1