NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pointing the big cannon at the Super Blue Moon

Stu

I threw everything at it tonight, all 65mm of the TAL Alkor light thimble ;)

I didn't have long but wanted to have a little peek in more than binoculars, so I popped it onto the Giro-WR mount which is on my EQ6 tripod under a cover ready for action! None of this fancy AZGTi goto stuff, I fancied my chances finding the moon :) 

The moon certainly look very bright tonight, best mag in the Alkor was with eyepiece and barlow giving x88. The phase was 99.8% at the time, so the tiniest bit of terminator was showing. This image shows part of it, I think with the crater Neper quite clear and Mare Smythii just next to it, arrowed in the second image. There is another nice feature Mare Undarum just in from the terminator too.

So, a bit of fun and some features seen that I was unaware of before. Please feel free to correct any mistakes in ID!!

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG

That is what I should have been doing instead of wasting another 5 hours trying to get my imaging rig to play nicely, 2nd night it's happened, I did give up and look at the Moon with the SCT last time and was just about to do so again but it's clouding over now :hmh:

Dave

Nice pics Stu.

i did put a big cannon on Luna last night - bit of a mistake since it was a lower mag than Monday and I was still seeing the moon for 10 minutes after I took my eyes away from the eyepiece ??

Looks like I do have a use for my moon filter after all.

3 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Careful with all that aperture Stu!! 

Nice images though, I often wonder why I bother stacking :)

I was worried about blinding myself John :) 

It's a seriously capable little scope, cost about the same as an ortho eyepiece and is built like a tank. Optics are very sharp, the eyepieces give x33, x88 and x133 if I remember correctly. Quite narrow afov though, couldn't fit M45 in even at x33.

Archived