Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

*WHAT* files?

Demonperformer

Warning: this is going to be a G.O.M. (Grumpy Old Man) post (thread).

I am trying to install Ascom 6.3 (as a precursor to installing eqascom) on a (Windoze-10) laptop that does not connect to the internet. I will repeat that, because I find this statement is one that some people seem to be incapable of grasping: this laptop does NOT connect to the internet.

When I run the Ascom installer, it tells me it needs Microsoft NET framwork 3.5 service pack 1, which I can 'turn on' in the control panel. When I turn it on, I get a message telling me that I need some additional files. The only options I am given are to either arrange for this machine to connect to the internet (which will allow all the automatic programs like Windoze to do anything they want) or not to install it at all.

WHY can't they just tell me what files I need to have in order to run the program I actually want to run??

So, as Microsoft has chosen to adopt this offensively paternalistic attitude, can any of our computer experts tell me what files I actually need to download onto my desktop (which does connect to the internet) so I can transfer them to my laptop so that I can get Ascom running?

Thanks.

Ah, for Windows 10, to install .Net 3.5, open Control Panel \ Programs and Features  then select "Turn Windows Features on or off" then select .Net 3.5, but you will probably need the installation media, for the installer to find the files.

No, it won't create a new version, unless you boot from the media (DVD or USB stick) and go through the setup procedures, or auto running setup, on inserting the media into a running PC.....

In the 1st instance, just boot the PC as normal i.e. no installation media inserted. In the 2nd instance, just cancel any setup.

I think you are being a bit silly here, just connect to the internet, let windows update your .net files then disconnect from the internet forever if you wish, but for you to not connnect just to updat a piece of software is silly.... :)

You can tell Windows 10 NOT to install any updates form your connection, there is a setting for that as long as you are using WiFi, go to settings and find the checkbox that says “don’t download as this is a metered connection” and it wont do any updates..

You could try downloading the latest .net framework software on another PC and putting it on a memory stick, and transfering it to the laptop in question and then installing, that may work... :)

As above, setting the connection as 'Metered' is the most flexible, and allows you to turn on and off the connection without the fear that it'll suddenly upgrade everything. It stops Windows automatically downloading anything without you initiating it

I find it handy as my connection isn't lightning fast, and Windows sometimes swamps my download with updates

Thanks for the responses.

OK, I think I understand how the instalation media works. The link looks really good @coatesg.

If I don't update windoze, I won't need to worry about workarounds.

It's not just windoze updating that I want to stop, but anything else that may want to do things without my knowledge. After all, if no program could download without me knowing, anti-virus programs would be totally redundant. (And they seem to be a prime example of programs that will download whether I want them or not!)

No worries. Your call on whether you want to update or not of course, but if it is airgapped and you don't need driver updates, ephemerides, then you shouldn't have any issues in sitting on the same version for all eternity (or until the hardware dies!). 

to be honest if some piece of malware virus does get onto you pc (doubfull if just going to google-microsoft-download) unless you are connected to the internet pose no real issues.

You can just download an use avg antiviurs free version. You can download any software onto a pendrive if needed.

On 31/01/2018 at 08:42, coatesg said:

It's just the .NET3.5 install files it needs.

See https://winaero.com/blog/offline-install-of-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-10-using-dism/ on how to do it offline.

I have finally found the time to go through this, and ascom 6.3 has now been successfully istalled.

Thanks for this link, which is very good at guiding a technophobe through the process. Fortunately, I had an old DVD-RW disc that I was able to use to burn the ISO image. Still don't understand why I needed a copy of the entire Windoze10 installation disc rather than just get the files I need, but that has now become rather a moot point! The only comment I would make is that the batch file downloaded from the article did not work for me, but when I typed the command line in directly it did. I merely make the observation, being totally unqualified as to express an opinion as to why. Curiously, I downloaded the Visualc++ runtime files ascom also said it required and installed them, but when running the ascom installer it still said it would need to get and install them! When I let it proceed, however, it obviously had what it needed as it completed successfully.

Successful installation of eqascom as well (although I haven't tested it on the mount yet). For some reason (possibly the small size of the file?) I suspected this was going to be a "I am an installer that will now download the actual program" installer, but that proved not to be the case.

Next stop ... Polemaster drivers and software ...

Archived