Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aristarchus in colour

johnfosteruk

Had a great session tonight after a very baron spell mainly dominated by cloud! Observing and lots of imaging accomplished.

Here's the first one processed. A colour image showing Aristarchus, Herodotus, Vallis Schröteris and the Plateau. Seeing was excellent. This is 30% of 4000 frames captured using the little mak.

The rest will be cooked and served over the next few days, I'm snowed under with work but it's all worth it now :)

Pipp>AS!3>IMPPG>Photoshop

5a6fb3301c8b2_Aristarchusincolour29-01-18.png.8e2a6bf0a6ddfce59c11761a65b6a247.png

16 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

a very baron spell mainly dominated by cloud

King John had a bit of a problem that way as well, sorry !

Superb. I am amazed at the colours being extracted from the moon (see comment just now on @michael.h.f.wilkinson topic)

After years of seeing the moon in b&w I was this evening lazy and did not get BigBertha out ( evo9.25) - (advancing years) so contemplating a smaller rig between that and the binos,  with maybe an economic b&w WiFi camera, seems I should be looking into colour cams maybe ! Surprised I am :)

Might have to start a topic for advice soon !

8 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

Impressive result.

I'm looking at it on FLOsite, I dont see any slomo controls, and 'in the box' does not mention a hand controller ?? Does this mean it needs a smartphone operate ?

I bought used from an SGLer (@nightfisher) and just got the OTA - it was perched atop my trusty EQ3 mount. I think FLO purvey it without a mount as well so you can mount as you wish. :)

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Out of interest John, what is causing the colour?

It's said that it's caused by the composition of the surface material/regolith. There's some evidence I believe that this is true. Typically when I increase the saturation around some of the Maria I get blue hues which is consistent with the rich titanium ores in some of those areas.

2 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

Splendid John, that region has looked superb the last couple of nights.

It's an intriguing area isn't it. Just the plateau, the valley and the domes down near Marius would keep me occupied for the rest of my days if that's all there was :)

11 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Thanks for the info., I have since discovered that the handcontroller is an extra @~£150 :(

If you are referring to Synscan handsets, AstroBoot have some available at reduced cost. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick :) 

40 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

It's said that it's caused by the composition of the surface material/regolith. There's some evidence I believe that this is true. Typically when I increase the saturation around some of the Maria I get blue hues which is consistent with the rich titanium ores in some of those areas.

That's very interesting John, thanks! So the colour is there, it just comes out through increasing the saturation?

7 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Ouch

Quite so ! That is nearly half the cost of a SW StarDiscovery150p [6" f/5] (a candidate G&Go that I considered some time ago but real life got in the way a bit ! might have to resurrect those plans )

So many choices ! :icon_scratch::)

Re the colour, I rekn it is where 'they' did their autumn digging, it'll turn green come the spring  :duckie:

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's very interesting John, thanks! So the colour comes out through increasing the saturation.

Yes, it's all captured, just needs 'enhancing', much like DSO imaging I suppose. The key is to do it in a non destructive manner. For which I have @michael.h.f.wilkinson and @ollypenrice to thank.

Michael posted a method involving sharpening/deconvolution using your chosen tools the putting a mono version of that into a luminance layer on top of the rib version, noise reduce that (the rgb) and median filter then you can boost saturation normally without introducing too much noise.

Olly's method involves converting to lab colour in photoshop then increasing the contrast in the a & b channels which gives you the saturation.

Archived