NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help choosing a new AZ/ALT mount

djpaul

Hi All

Looking to get an AZ / Alt mount for my Sky Watcher 120ed

Any recommendations ?

At the moment i have an EQ5 and would be happy to use the tripod of this in conjunction of a new mount.

Or sell the whole EQ5 and get a whole new tripod and Mount if needs be.

Looking for something sturdy well balanced and well made.

Regards Paul

Hello. I have a equinox 120ed and therefore can recommend a mount. A tried and tested AZ that performs. Why ? Because I own one and use it with my own set up .

I use the Skywatcher AZ4 mount with the 2" stainless steel leg tripod. This is a very basic mount but performance wise is very good. Simple to operate and sturdy. I have used this mount for planetary and lunar for about 2 years with my 120ed and has worked very well. I also recently have used a OOuk 8 newt on it also. Working well with that.

The AZ4 would be my recommendation, sturdy solid , performance is great and sensible money?

Thanks for the reply

Are you talking about the SW tripod legs that i have with my EQ5?.

Does the AZ4 fit straight on?

Thats  what im after ... Something simple to set up for Planetary and Lunar gazing.

Paul

Hi. I use a SkyTee 2 with my ED 120 and find that it works very well. You do have to change the supplied dovetails though. I use the ADM ones supplied by FLO. I believe you can use your old tripod with the mount although I am not certain as I bought the tripod mount combination.

I've not used a SkyTee 2. I've heard and read that they work very well and I'm sure they do. To me they look over complex and a strange design, I can't quite get my head around why you wouldn't just have matching saddles both sides? Ignore that though because I have never tried one.

My experience has been with the Ercole mount which I found very good. The balance can be a little tricky especially when changing between light and heavy eyepieces, but the top clamp works to prevent that being a problem. I don't, as a rule, use slo mo controls as I find them fiddly too, but I can see that having them helps to overcome balance issues such as those seen with the Ercole.

The no longer available, and expensive T-Rex mount works very nicely, having long flexi slo mo cables and is very solid. My idea mount would be a combination of Ercole and SkyTee i.e. The twin matching saddles with T-Rex style clutches and slo mo cables, but I guess that doesn't exist unfortunately.

I use a Skytee 2 and its very solid, does look a bit odd as Stu states, indeed opposing fixing points are sensible and able to be used, the top mount I do not use and only can envisage a use for a finder or similar, very odd design feature for me .
Fitted straight onto my EQ5 steel tripod that came from my AZ4, which this replaces.
If you like to stand and observe a taller tripod will be needed.
I am using an ED80 with it and a 150p Newtonian, both work well.

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.eb31ae217bf8091b83d4642a6835bc08.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The Altair Sabre version 2 mount is very good. I've used mine with my Skywatcher Evostar 120mm F8 successfully. Like the Ercole, going from a light eyepiece to a heavy eyepiece can cause balance issues, which with careful adjustment of the clutch is no problem at all.

Archived