Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Third Time Not So Lucky! (Except For Algieba)

cloudsweeper

Out with the 8SE at 4.30 this morning, my third session in about 12 hours.  Tell me again what sleep is.

After the last two successes with Luna, Uranus, a double (Mesarthim), and some clusters, I thought for a change I'd try for some galaxies in Leo/Virgo, since the sky was dark, clear (just a few fluffy clouds, no noticeable haze), and Moon-free.

But first, Algieba in Leo - a binary with a separation of 4.6".  At x145 this split into two very close stars, almost matched in brightness, but not sharp on account of poor seeing.  Dropped to x113, but they hardly split then.  As a point of reference, the closest easily visible stars in the Trapezium  are 8.7" apart.

(Not surprising then that I couldn't (on this occasion) split Porrima in Virgo - a matched binary with just 2" of separation.)

The southern sky then clouded right over, so I went for Auriga in the NW.  Minutes later, total cloud, so finished at 5.20.

But Algieba is nice for any doubles fans!

Doug.

3 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

These damn clouds creep up on you real fast.

Yes Alan:

These days, it seems like time between clear sky and total cloud = setup + cooling + 10 minutes.

We must just be grateful for whatever openings are on offer I suppose!  :happy11:

Doug.

Good job Doug. Three sessions in 12 hours, that must be a record!

Algieba is a good one, slight difference in brightness if I recall correctly. Porrima should be doable with good seeing, if we ever get some of that!

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good job Doug. Three sessions in 12 hours, that must be a record!

Algieba is a good one, slight difference in brightness if I recall correctly. Porrima should be doable with good seeing, if we ever get some of that!

Thanks Stu!  

Thank goodness for clusters and doubles in these cloudy conditions.

I reckon I didn't do too shabbily with the three sessions, but my sessions are generally quite short - two hours tops.  The gazers who do five+ hour marathons must surely be the keenest!

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived